TinMan

It is Time

My Dad passed about a year ago. I'm bringing his Mustang over to work on it and get it running.  I'll still be able to get the Mach out of storage and run her, she just won't be "home" and that will make me very, very sad.  I had it at the transmission shop overnight and had separation anxiety with it out of the garage... :P :P :P

Mach goes in storage this weekend... :( :(

Didn't realize there's two hard lines.. right past the torque box there's a rubber hose.. 47 years old.. let's change...

Keep dripping fuel through the torque box... hard line has a leak.. great time to find.. before storage...

Here's my self attempt at bending a hard line.. should work...

mach181.jpg

Mach goes in storage this weekend... :( :(

One of the three reasons for living in Cali. I do love driving in Illinois though, beautiful country.

That fuel line looks like a winner. Very nice job!

I have separation anxiety... Boo Hoo Hoo!!!

mach182.jpg.jpg

Pop's Mustang is over in her place. Time to get busy on her... she's been neglected since her purchase in 1982... I have noticed this board is WAY more helpful than the Shelby boards...

mach183.jpg

Shelby is gone. Long story. She was a mess. Has a great new home and will be rebuilt professionally. 

Biggest news...The Mach is BACK!!!

I've only changed my mind about 200 times... so I need to decide next moves... at this point.. AOD.. redue bottom end.. discs all corners freshen up front end and just drive??? Hell. I don't know anymore. Need to think...

GT500.18.jpg

Coming up on 2000 miles since awaking.. had her out last three weekends... Yeah global warming!!

Time to address scary steering and overheating.. ..

Brown Santa again..

3 row aluminum radiator. Complete front suspension. Control Valve. Motor mounts...

mach183.jpg

A little late on my reply to your photo of your car when you had more hair.

My car was lime green when I got it that lasted 3 weeks and went to red and that lasted 1 year and went to moon dust silver as it is today.98000 miles later(178000 on the meter)

Me at 16 in 1976 with my new ride......And my old ride in hugger orange... would like to have it back

post-44083-0-81318000-1489930200.jpg

post-44083-0-68428900-1489933384.jpg

post-44083-0-03816900-1489944881.jpg

Ok... Up to 1900 miles since  the awaking...Here in St. Louis, we've been building a new Noah's Ark.. Was a beautiful weekend.. she was on the road the majority of the time...

Gotta replace the radiator and front suspension. I've been putting it off.. I hate removing anything original. Gotta pop the cherry and start.. There's nothing on her that did not come from the factory..  First one will hurt the most... :( :( :(

Cherry is popped. Man I hate this ugly radiator! But. 90F and sitting in traffic, it's on the thermostat.

Anyway. Guess I can start making changes since it's the first one that hurts the most!

mach184.jpg

On 9/11/2016 at 8:56 PM, TinMan said:

Way more miles on me than the Mach!!!!

mach180.jpg

That's awesome! At least you still have the hair....lol! Your story is very much like mine and I've really enjoyed reading through it. Don't ever sell it! Currently doing a full resto on mine, which is going at a snails pace.  

On 9/11/2016 at 6:56 PM, TinMan said:

Way more miles on me than the Mach!!!!

mach180.jpg

Same location in both pics right? What's the story there? Did you buy your parents home, they still live there? Curious minds...

On 7/3/2017 at 0:38 PM, RPM said:

Same location in both pics right? What's the story there? Did you buy your parents home, they still live there? Curious minds...

No. That picture is in Washing Park IL. Home of my beautiful bride... Basically East St Louis. That house was burnt down decades ago.. New pic at friend's house in Alton, IL. He's good people!

I went ahead and stuffed on the 17" Torque Thrusts that were on my 02 Crown Vic (yeah, I'm that guy). The tires are the OE 255/55 ZR17s that came on my 06 Mustang GT. So I think that's at least fitting.

The rears are too big for the fender lips. I did weld on a 2x2 square stock on the axle to extend the bumpstops. From careful measurements that should leave me a 1/2" more than I need.

Yeah. I've posted about 200 different things I said I'd do. But, right now.. here's where I'm thinking.

Do front power disc brake upgrades from CJ Pony Parts.

Do a T5z transmission swap from Modern Driveline.

Gasp. Do a late 90's Explorer 8.8 swap. Get disc and 3.73s with LSD for basically nothing. Yeah, I know I might have to modify the tunnel a bit. It is also 1/4" wider

Even though these Torque Thrusts look great, I'll probably do a S197 tire/wheel combo as I have lots of freedom in backspacing and wheel placement.

Won't do anything until next year...

For now...

machtt.jpg

Coming up on 5500 miles since the awakening.. I haven't done much because I'd rather drive her than work on her. Plan on at least a 100 miles today! :)

Buddies building a house a few miles away. I've donated a 2 post to the project, so I'll actually start doing work spring next year.

Still thinking pretty much just suspension, T5z and discs. My mind changes far too frequently. Just taken yesterday. I've only replaced one side light and one tail light. Pretty cool the original lights still work!!

mach185.jpg

Help me out guys.

I've built this girl in my head almost on a daily basis and have come up with almost as many different combinations. Going back to 1978 in fact.

When I pull her out, I simply don't work on it cause I want to drive it. Even when I pull her out to work on her, it's an eff it, I'm driving.

As talking with a buddy on the 500th different build concept, he said "it won't be a survivor any more".

*oh*

Sure. I've got that stupid aluminum radiator on her, but I've still got the original factory one and all original hardware.

Now I'm questioning doing anything at all. How many survivors are there? Got original factory paint and all? Talk me down from the ledge!

There are a bunch of folks who'd give their first born to have your 69, including me. Well, not my first born, but my second :)  If you want to modify one, buy another to do it to.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:08 AM, RPM said:

There are a bunch of folks who'd give their first born to have your 69, including me. Well, not my first born, but my second :)  If you want to modify one, buy another to do it to.

I've got a whiteboard at work where I've put up modifications. I've wiped them all off. Kinda happy. Kinda sad.