TinMan

It is Time

Still shocked how easy it is to get parts...  While heads at machine shop... got rear axle done this weekend...

mach120.jpg

Humm... 47 year old rubber might not be so great ... This is the only hard line that I twisted off too..

mach121.jpg

I don't know.. anything I take off, I have to glass bead blast and paint... It's a sickness.. :)

mach122.jpg

After 30+ years of not being in the BUDGET this past Saturday I pushed the order button on one..

Going to start my own redo thread soon..I already have a Lindsay 100 sand blaster.

Its a pain just for random small parts...

Trying to do all the things I can do and still drive it..

As not to overwhelm myself half way threw the project...

Tinman is going at it the same I have....Drive and Fix. Drive and Update. Way more fun...

Tinman is going at it the same I have....Drive and Fix. Drive and Update. Way more fun...

Amen Brother.. Amen!! 

I'm lucky... I use the glass bead cabinet at work.

Front lines are fighting back. I'm bringing in reinforcements. They're not gonna win!

I have a pic. from 1978 some where? Try to find it.(when I had hair)

What I like is sorting out problems before you have all that fine detail work done.

Not every thing works out the way you want or the way you hoped..

Lets just beat up the new 6000.00+ paint job!!!!! NO!!

What I like is sorting out problems before you have all that fine detail work done.

This is surreal at best... I've loved this car since I was 9 years old... I've owned this particular car for basically my whole life.. technically 70% of it anyway.. Part of me thinks it's sacrilegious to even touch it. Part of me is like, meh, get it running.. piece it together... Another part of me thinks it's a sin to make any modifications... I still know absolutely every square inch of this car. Every ding. Every knot. Every blemish..  Most of the corners have the paint worn away from waxing it so often... I courted my lovely bride in this car... we've made love in this car..   I don't know... I've never really been this torn over a material object before... But in the end.. it's just a car...  I really want to drive it again.. windows down.. wind in my so gray hair...  fountain of youth perhaps? No..   Mortality is tough to face... :P :P :P

Tinman as with you every DENT has a story to tell. Than there is the fold down and mating...

If I could just do the rust work that has been there from the day I got the car and clear coat the top I would..

Remember when just having two matching hub caps was all you needed so when you drove thru the local hot spot you looked cool.(LH side)...In the end its really is just a car...that I hope my grand daughter will drive to school the same as I did and my two daughters(My take out the fold down and add barb wire)

I has brakes!!!! yeah!

Man. I hate drums. But objective is to just get her running...  here she has no wheels.. ready for a bleed...

mach124.jpg

Really surprised at how well the interior has held up... Amazing how things you thought was a good idea when you were 17 years old, are pretty horrific when you're 55 years old.. the stereo installation was an epic failure. It's all pulled out now... I had to pull the seat to get my fat a$$ under the dash for hooking up the master cylinder... too bad this seat will turn to dust as I start to sit in it again.. :(

mach126.jpg

mach125.jpg

This little rascal was a major PITA to get installed!! Then comes the comical bleeding... about 2/3rds a quart through it... no air... but the peddle won't hold.. damn.. bad master cylinder... rear is on jackstands on the axle... left the jack on the pumpkin... one of the connections on the rear hose leaking... didn't notice until had a son step on the peddle and see it drip.. of coarse..  I didn't notice the massive puddle under the jack!!

mach127.jpg

$50 a pop is a steal! We're lucky the seats come out so easily. I don't think any under dash work is fun at our age. Since those drum brakes are lighter than discs, you should see better mileage :)

Machine shop has had the head for about 6 weeks.. claim they're working on them now.

What 's the best way to remove head gaskets? Been working with razer blades.. got one side about half done.. vacuuming up what I scrape off... how clean is clean???

Not sure if it's OEM.. but it's bias ply and pretty cool...

mach136.jpg

These were in the truck and hiding behind the tire.. they look to be in pretty good shape.. I think I'll use them!!..

mach137.jpg

Man.. gas from 1983  STINKS!!!  I ran about 1-1/2 gallons of Acetone through the gas lines. Stopped stinking and debris really calmed down... Hoping!

mach138.jpg

Sending unit looks OK to me!

mach139.jpg

New tank and sending unit... cheap and plopped in place...

mach155.jpg

Two new horse heads!!!

mach156.jpg

Kinda surprises me.. each are different castings... different numbers.. notice the ridge on the exhaust port for one head and not the other..

mach158.jpg

mach159.jpg

Shhhhhhhh!!

mach157.jpg

Pictures don't show much progress.. but lots  done to get to this place...

Hey, you're showing much more progress than my slow tedious tasks to get mine rolling. Every project completed is a move in the right direction. 

According to the computer.. it was 103F yesterday and 97F today. It felt like it. It's buttoned up and ready to fire. Just have to flush block, put in high ZDDP oil and see if she lights!!  Was just too hot and tired when it came time to pull off dollies and roll outside..  Yes.. I know that's a 1970 sticker on the air cleaner.. it also was NOS and I bought it in probably 1979...

mach165.jpg

mach167.jpg

Found NOS primary wire (after going to junk yard and splicing together junk on existing one... on top of a 1989 article on Jon Kaase.. think that's a sign for some P38s!

mach166.jpg

I had a dum. I only ask technical questions in the technical section.  Whatever they call the tube that feeds the venturi was plugged. Shame on me for not looking...Used a needle and carb cleaner.. all was good.

Had a friend come over and he found the distributor was 1 tooth off.. fired right up!!

Still have lots to do.. she don't like hot starts at all.. and she'll backfire over half throttle.. but idles and drives awesome.. seems like she's a bit hot temperature wise.. control valve needs rebuilding.. she's terrifying at 65 mph... but the transmission seems to be happy...

It's surreal at best.. Here's something I haven't done since 1983....

mach168.jpg

Next to my son's car...

mach169.jpg

Glamor shot!

mach170.jpg

Just put her away... logged about 100 miles... and 10,000 smiles... :) :) :)

Yes, she still needs help... suspension is starting to make bad noises... surprisingly nothing is leaking.. yet... I need a new throttle cable bad.. shifter needs rebuilding horribly.. can't hardly get into park anymore.. still needs timing and carb adjustments... she idles wonderfully... it's not fast at all.. in fact she's very mad at anything more than half throttle... but the torque is incredible.. quarter throttle and you're at 65mph in no time flat!

The turbo mufflers I installed in I think 1980 are gone... the bottoms are completely rusted out... as I backed her into the garage... it reminded me of Christine a bit too much... even my wife said the same.. (the garage door opened and you slowly backed in.. just like Christine)... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Biggest issue is hot start problems... the gas boils in the carburetor when she's at temp... today after a nice long run with temps in high 80s and backing her slowly in the garage she was at 210F per IR gun.. you can actually hear the gas boiling in the carb.. the carb was 160F per the same IR gun.. Pretty minor problem.. but we'll fix.

About all I can truly say.. it's surreal.. I've had this car before I met my beautiful wife... I courted her in this car..,. it's been covered for 33+ years... it's surreal...