TinMan

It is Time

Rockauto parts keep rolling in.. got a gas tank today... Yeah!!!

Here's a virgin 47 year old radiator... had to break the installation clips off the bolts.... to radiator shop tomorrow for boiling out and repair... antifreeze was actually not in that bad of shape...

Carb completely rebuilt.. was pretty gross.. but should be fine now...

Can't do garage.. city says have to have driveway and at least 3 feet from property line.. that's a problem.. so.. plan now is to get Mach running... put in storage not too far away (only take running cars) and bring Pop's stang over to get it running.. when it rains.. it pours.  :)  first world problems!

mach103.jpg

:)  first world problems!

Exactly! I love that saying and use it often. They are the majority of our problems.

Nice progress on the Mustang. Carb cleaner does work.

This picture makes me happy... lots of new parts to bolt on!!!!  Taking random parts to work for dry honing so they can be painted and look pretty!!!

mach104.jpg

This looks like it could be a problem.. I have ordered and Eastwood fender roller.. might have to do a bit of clearancing here too...  think it's pretty close to lock.. but the tire is on the valance..

mach105.jpg

First real damage... under the battery tray is pretty much gone... think I'll cut out what's highlighted in red and weld in fresh metal.. I have a new battery tray... more to come...

mach106.jpg

Amazing how glass bead blasting before paint makes such a difference.

mach108.jpg

So. Should I do a hack repair job over this rust (only real bad spot on car) or just leave it a survivor.. I'm leaning towards survivor..  Hope to make some real progress today... (had to work on house yesterday).. :)

Aw shes pretty, if it were me I'd do her up right and get rid of the rot. Great story.

She'll get a full blown restore in a few years.. Objective now is to just get her running... My Pop passed and I have his Stang.. so Mine gets running.. and then in storage.. (easier).. then his gets running and in storage.. then the Mach gets restored!

Not much progress this weekend.. had to start taxes.. *sigh*... Did get new waterpump, fuel pump and alternator...

mach110.jpg

looking good! following along with anticipation! 

One thing I want to say is if the carb keeps overflowing....like 2100's like to with those black neoprene floats that end up in so many....go get a brass float!

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Motorcraft-2100-2150-Carburetor-Float_p_400.html

Of and get pertronix ignition and ditch the points(if you haven't already)

http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-1281-Ignitor-Ford-Cylinder/dp/B000N2XOHQ

Good luck and great story! keep it coming! 

i just want to point out that this is most likely not a wheel diameter clearance issue but rather an alignment issue more than anything. Could be wrong though....

This looks like it could be a problem.. I have ordered and Eastwood fender roller.. might have to do a bit of clearancing here too...  think it's pretty close to lock.. but the tire is on the valance..

mach105.jpg

Thanks for the tips on the float!! I am kinda worried about the plastic one!

It was running and driving when I parked it.. so alignment shouldn't be too horrible..  Those are 17" rims... :)

Easter weekend.. so not much progress... took out the cancer under the battery tray... it's 16 gauge steel... so after I clean up the battery reinforcement plate that'll bolt up under this plate.. should be pretty good..

Not going for pretty.. going for function...

mach112.jpg

mach113.jpg

mach114.jpg

Been hanging around technical forums... when I spun the engine... musta had an intake valve stuck and it pulled a rocker stud out of the head...

mach115.jpg

Found local shop to rebuild heads and install hardened seats...  Also found local place to rebuild FMX... need to decide what to do... just get running or freshen up some to drive...  I need to get my Pop's stang out of my Mom's garage.. so probably just get it running will do..

17's still shouldn't do this, there's something else going on here.

Good thing the cover just pops off real quick on the 2100. I'd say change it just to be safe.

Good luck!

I had the same issue when I first got my 17" TT wheels. try to adjust the strut rod and you should get some clearance and take it in for alignment after your done for the resto. 

Thanks! Pretty sure I'm just going to put the stock 14" back on for now..  Discount tire has a set of 4 tires for like 3 bills..

Which ones?  I still have my 14" rims and I've been debating getting 17" wheels or just running with inexpensive 14" tires until I have more money saved.

Hummm.. is there a problem or not...???? 

mach117.jpg

Happy news is the short block seems to be in pretty good shape...

mach118.jpg

Started it on seven year old gas in the late 80s to 1990. Mistake. Intake runners filled with varnish. 5 push rods bent.. a couple pretty good..  this all from rotating the engine by hand... pretty surprising considering I'm an old fat outta shape guy!!!

mach119.jpg

I don't see the problem? Looks like a RARE set of ford cheater push rods...

I vote you spend your Christmas bonus on a 408 kit with aluminum heads...  

If you have anything left of your vacation pay get a roller cam.

Hehehehe... all in time... all in time.. :)

Right now, the focus is just to get her running... big power build yet to come..

Dropped off a couple horse heads at the machine shop today!  :) :) :)

Hehehehe... all in time... all in time.. :)

Right now, the focus is just to get her running... big power build yet to come..

Dropped off a couple horse heads at the machine shop today!  :) :) :)

Same here, people always ask why I'm not upgrading the engine or something else and my response is I want to drive it.  Fastest way to that is putting it back together the way it was and then later I can save up for the upgrades one at a time.