Sign in to follow this  
sandford68

69 Chrome Grille

Hello, Im new to the site so I hope Im posting this question in the correct area. I have been "playing" with Mustangs for over 30 years, owned 13 (have 3 now) but the 69 has been my favorite. Now for my question: What is the background on the chrome plated grille for 69? I seem to recall it being in early car production and then it stopped & was just a black grille for all models. I was hoping someone had better information than I on the subject. I know they are harder to find & I have seen more in photos than on actual cars. I also heard that you had to order it but I have not found it as a option either. Thanks Mike

the general consensuses is that is was an option that didn't make it into production.....we not fully anyway. most likely an option that was originally planned and scrapped last minute but the parts still found their way to dealers or even the assembly line occasionally. I have one but it wasn't original to my car. I bought it several years ago. It was never offered in a book or on a option sheet.

I do know the actual grill itself is completely chrome and then painted to black out everything except the face. the below quote from Allen Cross who used to run FOMOCO.COM and was at one point the authority on vintage ford parts before ford made him shut down is pretty good but the part about the face only be chrome is incorrect.

here is his quote...

"Over the years, I have seen two '69s that had the leading edge of the black plastic grill chrome-plated. I spoke with the owners of them both and each owner believed their grill was OEM. Yet all the others were solid black....were these chromed grilles special order or what? Please tell me some of the rest of you have seen these chromed grilles and I simply didn't dream up the two encounters.

The Good News is that you weren't dreaming - they really do exist. The Bad News? You've just read nearly all the info I have on this subject. :-)

There's no doubt Ford produced some 1969 Mustang grilles that have chromeplate on the front face. I can even point to a Genuine Ford part number for these critters. The problem comes when I start looking for a factory-specified application. In other words, which cars got this grille and which got the other (plain) one? For that matter, I'd like to know how the assembly plant(s) were using two different grilles....if in fact they really did.

But that's where I'm drawing a blank. Oh sure, over the years lots of folks have said that Aunt Janet's Grande' had one or that their "best friend's cousin" used to own a '69 Mach I that had one. So far, nobody has offered a photo of a then-new Mustang wearing a shiny grille. And all the Ford literature I've seen never mentions this nifty feature as being correct for any '69 Mustang or Boss. I think this total lack of documentation speaks volumes.

So, then - what happened? Personally, I suspect this part became orphaned before the official '69 intro. Maybe some exec decided fancy grillework was frivolous, then pulled his approval to save a few bucks per unit. But, however it came to pass, Ford appears to have been stuck with quite a few. And it looks like most ended up in the Parts Depot, waiting to be sold by dealers. My money says that's how they ended up on all those cars.

Hope this helps.

Mr F(allen cross)"

That's probably the best info you'll really find on the subject.This was the best description i ever read about it from VMF a few years ago.....

Edited by Trinitys

Thanks for the information, just a little more than I had on them. I will keep looking in my magazine pile that dates back to the mid 60's ( may be a pack rat as I have ever car mag I ever bought) & if I ever locate this article I have been thinking of I will post whatever I find. Thanks again for your reply's!

Thanks for the welcome & the link PakRat. I had thought of doing a home custom grille but I found a original one a few weeks back at the Iola Wis swap meet. Price was higher than I wanted to spend but I never see them so I said heck with it. Should make the front end stand out though! Thanks eveyone!

My car was in the mustang feature area at Iola.

Not to get side tracked too much here BUT by chance MM2 is your 69 a 428 CJ? If so you were kind enough to take time to chat with us & let me get some great engine photos of your snorkel & complete smog system. I have also have a 69 Mercury Cyclone 428CJ that I am tracking down parts for. If so THANKS AGAIN! :thumbup1: