Fantastic

'69 Stang build. Gulfstream Aqua on White Mach

Hey all. I have not posted much about this car for a while now. I have another thread running where we are talking about steering issues. I like those tech talks. Being an engineer I enjoy technology and how things work, so the steering issues are kinda fun to work through. To bring you up to speed, after yet another disaster story from a shop, I was sent to someone for help. There is a local guy who was recommended to help me sort out some of the major issues with the car. This guy wins best of show at all the local events and I've seen what he can do. I went to talk to him and was very impressed. He took the car while I went on vacation for a week. while I was gone, he took off the doors, fenders, hood, valence, bumpers, and a few other pieces. He had the car rewired to clean up some of that mess, and reassembled things so that the doors shut properly, the lines looked right, and the windows open and close properly. He did all this in six days and the bill was very reasonable. I still have a long way to go, but at least the car looks right and I can close the doors.

Today there was not much traffic and my local auto club shop was quiet, so I limped the car down so I could put it up on the hoist and have a look. Again, the work that was done previously makes me gag. We could see right away that the car was not safe to be on the road. We found the front suspension has been installed wrong. The passenger side lower control arm was barely attached. The steering column has some issues and the rag joint is falling apart. Oil is leaking in several spots and there are assembly issues to be sorted out all over. The good news is that we can find these issues and get things fixed right. The parts list will not be as crazy at it has been in the past. As frustrated as I am, I was actually happy to be under the car with a buddy going over things and learning about how to do some of these repairs. I still have skin like rice paper and bleed like a stuck pig, but I actually had a smile on my face for a while as I fixed a few things.  

Fantastic!

HydiHo sports fans. Been a long while. I have not done much with the car this past year as I'm quite busy building a house. Funny how fast I run out of money with these projects...lol.

My mustang is safe and tucked away. I have a standing agreement with my wife that the Mustang will be listed "for sale" but only at the full appraisal price. So, it get's posted once in a while. I'm not worried because there is nobody in this area that can afford such a car.

I'm starting to tinker with a few new mods to the car. I picked up some TCP upper control arms, and I will be buying the matching TCP dual adjustable coil overs to go with them. That should get my front end down a bit. Right now the car looks like it is launching. I could lift the back a bit, but I'll wait until the front is sorted first.

The other mod I'm looking at is the rear bumper. The factory fit is so gross. I've seen what they look like when they are tucked and shaved like the original design intent. I'm so surprised that some company does come up with a new chrome bumper that is already made to fit properly. If I find one to cut up, I'll start tinkering with this part this winter. But for now....

Happy hibernation season!

Fantastic

Thank you for sharing! I'm working right not on my Gulfstream Aqua Mach, only I purchased the car back in 75 for a whopping $1,100. My car is straight with little to no rust. I will address all the mechanicals leaving the paint and body for a professional. When done, I'll have an easy $35k in this car. Your right, it's not cheap.....wheel barrels full of cash.      

Almost Christmas. I've had this car tucked away for a very long time. It seems I've turned into "that guy" that I heard about when I was a kid. The car is seldom seen in person, and I've heard it mentioned in rumors at car shows, lol. At least I don't have it as yard art like those cruel bastards that drove me and my buddies nuts when I was a teen with Mustang fever.

anybody drive their classic Mustang in the snow? Not me. Hidden away in a heated garage. Lol

Almost Christmas. I've had this car tucked away for a very long time. It seems I've turned into "that guy" that I heard about when I was a kid. The car is seldom seen in person, and I've heard it mentioned in rumors at car shows, lol. At least I don't have it as yard art like those cruel bastards that drove me and my buddies nuts when I was a teen with Mustang fever.

anybody drive their classic Mustang in the snow? Not me. Hidden away in a heated garage. Lol

Anybody drive their classic Mustang in the snow?  Yes.... but it didn't qualify for classic plates back then and it was the only car I had.  In fact I remember putting 300lbs in the truck to give it traction and the wonder wheel still put me in the ditch once.  But I washed it twice a week in the coin op booths (do these even exist anymore?) and it was just for the one winter.

Funny you mentioned this....a few years back, a kid that worked at a local gas station bought a clean 70 Mach 1 and his buddy that worked with him bought a 67 fastback. Well, they we the talk of the town that spring......always parking them out front head to head. The cars were clean, rust free and gorgeous. Then the snow started flying and people were saying "are they ever gonna put those cars away?". Well.....it was the saddest thing to see these 2 cars being driven through the winter. On occasion you would see them doing doughnuts in the parking lot, because how many kids drive rear wheel cars these days. It took less than 2 years for the cars to become the worst looking rust buckets. Pretty sad to see these nice cars turn to rust before our eyes.

Wow, reading your story makes me sick to my stomach! You want to trust that people will do you right but honestly, these days, I think more often than not people will hose you given the chance, especially if it is a "deal". I made the mistake of taking my OEM bumpers to a local guy whom gave me a "deal" on re-chroming them. I was very clear that I wanted my original bumpers back. At pick up, I noted some gouges in the rear bumper and an area that looked like it had been filled. I asked the guy what was up with that and he said that's where it was straightened. I told him, my bumpers were never damaged. Then I lifted the front bumper and it felt really light in weight. At that point, I knew I had just been given the chorizo and there was nothing I could do about it. I asked the guy three times if those were my bumpers and he told me they were. He was lying to me and I could see it in his face. I had thought to mark them before I dropped them off, but that would only confirm what I already knew anyway and it would not have changed the outcome, as I could prove nothing legally. For $600, I think I have a cheaply plated OEM real bumper and a Taiwan made front bumper. I would have done better to go to CJPony and purchase a set. I may go back and toss a molotov cocktail into his shop. Kidding, but I'm still miffed about this. Good luck in the remainder of your build. I look forward to seeing it come to fruition, as my Mach is also a Gulfstream car.

John

Almost Christmas. anybody drive their classic Mustang in the snow? Not me. Hidden away in a heated garage. Lol

Yes, I used to. My first car & first Mustang was a 70 Coupe, 2nd was a 69 Coupe, & my 3rd was a 68 j code GT Coupe all 3 were driven in the snow. My current 69 Coupe will NEVER see snow except when I open the garage to get thew snow blower out. LOL.