Fantastic

'69 Stang build. Gulfstream Aqua on White Mach

I would be interested to see the results if anyone ever tried to do a coupe to fastback conversion without changing everything. Retaining the coupe  door glass and roll down quarter windows would be interesting to see..

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

Very excited about the shaker base made to fit by Eric Smith from Curtis Customs in Elmsdale Nova Scotia. It looks great!

Hey Fantastic. That color must look great in the great outdoors. Is there metallic in that paint?

The shop is installing the interior. The last minute items are being hunted down, but the cookie jar is far past empty.

Thank goodness I bought most of the parts when the Canadian Dolalr was at par or above the USD.

If any of my Canadian bretheren are interested in helping out a fellow Canuck, I still need an Export Brace and a good set of roof pillar emblems. 

IMG_20150604_084439115.jpg

The high intensity shopping to get this car on the road for the summer is almost complete. The engine is running and she is moving under her own power. The shake down is taking a bit of effort because the build took 8 years and ... well.... stuff happens. For example, on Friday the power steering control valve failed and ripped the steering wheel out of my friends hands as the wheels locked hard over. I am happy this did not happen at any speed! There will be lots of tinkering and projects to come, but this project is about to leave the restoration phase and drive away. 

Thanks all.

Hi everybody. I have more to talk about on this thread. So, first I want to let you all know that back in high school I was voted most likely to be struck by lightning. The saga continues...

I had the engine and transmission for my Mustang rebuilt by very experienced high end specialty shops. The two items were stored separate from the car while I was away working.

While I was gone, the company that was storing the car asked if they could put the engine and tranny together and put them in the engine bay. This made sense so I did it. Bad idea, but anyway... it was done.

Years go by and the car is not getting done, so I hire a "hot rod" shop to assemble everything. I tell them that much of the car is held together for transport, and that everything has to be checked over. The 4 speed engine and four speed toploader are bolted, but not wired or connected and... important note..... THERE IS NOT DRIVE SHAFT. Remember this point. It becomes important.

The shop reviews the job and quotes a price and schedule. I accept and the adventure continues. Within a few DAYS of starting the job, the shop owner calls and says that he has a situation that I might be able to help him with, and that it would benefit me. He has an employee that needs to borrow money, and he will knock $500 off the agreed price if I will pay my bill up front. I.... being a trusting idiot... do it.

Months go by with little progress, but then things start happening. They call me looking for money for parts. I say no, I will obtain the parts myself. (Trust is gone) Parts are obtained and are being put on the car.

Shop owner makes a big deal out of telling me that he is likely going to loose money on building my car, but he loves the car and is going to stick to the deal he made. Progress is being made, I am happy for a while.

As we get closser and closser to the end, I am dumping money like crazy into parts to finish. It is killing me and I am drained... totally... but it is time to take the car home. The shop is stalling. On two separate occasions I am told the car is ready and I get to the shop and find out they are not ready. Then I arrive on Friday last week and the owner of the shop says the car is not ready, there is something wrong with the shifter. I tell him I am going to flatbed the car to a transmission shop and get it looked at. He then tells me that he has spent too much time and money on the car to let it go, and that there is still $2200 owing on the car. I avoided the confrontation and told him we would work it out later. I asked what the extra charges were for, and he says they spent 12 hours working on the steering. I asked what the problem was and he said the steering was eratic and going crazy and they had taken the control valve apart to rebuild it, but that it did not fix the problem. I responded that the power steering lines were reversed, but he insisted that was not the problem. I looked under the car and could see that the power steering lines were reversed. I avoided the confrontation and asked what else had led to the extra charges. He told me they had spend days working on the shifter, but could not get it shifting correctly. He then told me that.... ok .... hold on...

He had taken the car out for a drive, and that first and second pulled really hard, but that he could not get it to shift into third or fourth.

I bit my tounge.... This car had not been registered or insured, and he had gone out on a joy ride without my permission.

I waited for a truck, and towed the car (flatbed) to a good transmission shop. Within hours the shop owner calls me and asks if the hot rod shop had installed the drive shaft. I responded that they had. He then says, "then they should have realised that there was zero tranismission fluid in that car, since you have to put the tranny fluid in AFTER you put the drive shaft in, or it will all leak out." I was floored! So the shop had not filled the tranny with oil, and then took it on an unauthorized joy ride and killed the tranny! The tranny had been bone dry.

I called the shop and asked the employee who did the work if he had checked the tranny. He said "no, why would I?" and I was .... like ... WTF! So I talked to the shop owner and told him he was responsible. But then he says that he never put the tranny in the car so it is not his fault, not his problem, and that I still have to pay his extra expenses for the repairs he spent time on, despite the fact that he did not repair anything.

ARGGGGGG!!!!

At that point I realised that I still had (have) a significant bunch of parts still at his shop. I played nice rather than show my hand, but now it is looking like the fight is unavoidable. I will not be able to get the parts out prior to this coming to a head. He has been texting me all day asking for money, offering to take a lower payment if I pay right away.

If I do not continue this tread later, you all know that I am in prison. Please take car of my car while I am away.

Fantastic!

Holy crap! As if this build didn't have enough bs. Looks like those high school kids knew what they were talking about.

I would probably verbally agree to paying more, but only pay X amount a month so you are able to get your parts out of his shop. Good luck.

Don't want to talk work too much. Sorry about that.

Do you guys agree that a reasonable shop would know that a car with no drive shaft would require transmission oil? I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I knew that. To me, going over every inch of a car, checking all the fluids, includes checking the transmission, even a standard that does not have a dipstick and requires a few extra seconds to unscrew the plug. Am I being unreasonable? I asked a few shops at first, and they said they would not check if they had not installed the tranny. But then when I said the drive shaft was not installed, they all agreed the fluid would have drained out.

Don't want to talk work too much. Sorry about that.

Do you guys agree that a reasonable shop would know that a car with no drive shaft would require transmission oil? I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I knew that. To me, going over every inch of a car, checking all the fluids, includes checking the transmission, even a standard that does not have a dipstick and requires a few extra seconds to unscrew the plug. Am I being unreasonable? I asked a few shops at first, and they said they would not check if they had not installed the tranny. But then when I said the drive shaft was not installed, they all agreed the fluid would have drained out.

Any idiot (including myself) would check all the fluids in the car before 1. Starting it and B. Driving it.  Sorry for your trouble this shop you are working with is why so many people avoid getting into projects like this.

Fantastic: The first thing you have to verify is that the shop is not in possession of a valid R plate. Out here in Manitoba , and I know other provinces that have the same, the shop owners can take an unregistered vehicle out for a test drive why hanging their R (repair) plate on it. The vehicle is now covered via insurance of that plate. If he doesn't have one....then the car shouldn't have come out and he, under his own admission, took the car upon a highway without valid registration.

Logically , anyone in a shop that repairs vehicles and receives a vehicle without a driveshaft ought to have known that there wasn't fluid in that trans. That's why the general public takes vehicles to repair shops...because they are supposed to know.

I wouldn't get into a pissing (if I can say that) contest with this fellow. I'd get my facts straight and my ducks in line first verifying the above.

Did you sign a workorder? Was there a written estimate of what had to be done with a caveat that he has to contact you to perform anything more not listed in the work order?

Back to the trans shop that noticed the lack of fluid in the trans: Obtain a short statement from him as to what he had discovered and what he figures it's going to cost to repair. (he may of course have to tear it down). Have him sign the statement and if you really want to get technical then have it notarized.

Most good shops do not want negative publicity. Approach him professionally and calmly requesting your parts and then tell him he leaves you no other choice but to proceed with civil litigation. The police will not get in involved in the civil part but they certainly can follow up on the 'joyride' he took in your car if no plate.

Hope this helps.....John