Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Hood Hinges

Hood hinges.....are these sloppy by nature? Its one of those things you don't realize has a problem until you are trying to align a hood. This what happens....I have the hood lined up pretty darn good, I open then close the hood and the rear of the hood sticks up about a quarter inch. I can walk over and push the rear of the hood down on both sides and it goes down flat. So, I'm wondering if the hinges have a natural amount of slop or do they sound worn?

thanks,Dave

I agree they are worn. It is possible a BFH and an anvil will tighten them up. They can also be rebuilt with new rivets if you wish to keep the date coded original parts, I priced this earlier in the year & it was in the neighborhood of $250.

Try rotating them back before changing them out.

Open hood, loosen hinge bolts a bit, them push up a little harder on the open hood. Have a helper tighten the hinge bolts while you hold it in position. This will rotate the hinges towards the rear of the car so the back of the hood lays lower when closed.

Worth a shot anyways....

Try rotating them back before changing them out.

Open hood, loosen hinge bolts a bit, them push up a little harder on the open hood. Have a helper tighten the hinge bolts while you hold it in position. This will rotate the hinges towards the rear of the car so the back of the hood lays lower when closed.

Worth a shot anyways....

+1....I've done this and it worked on a friends car.

Hood hinges.....are these sloppy by nature? Its one of those things you don't realize has a problem until you are trying to align a hood. This what happens....I have the hood lined up pretty darn good, I open then close the hood and the rear of the hood sticks up about a quarter inch. I can walk over and push the rear of the hood down on both sides and it goes down flat. So, I'm wondering if the hinges have a natural amount of slop or do they sound worn?

thanks,Dave

I have fixed this condition also by rotating the hinges back like some of the others said by loosing the 3 hinge bolts at the inner fender apron and holding the hood up while someone retightens the bolts. I did have one case tho that the hinge was worn out but the hood stayed up on one side only. By both yours staying up I would think that your problem is a simple adjustment.

The other Dave