Sign in to follow this  
emncfi

Newbie with a new project

So I am not too new to modifying my cars, we have 6 ranging from a trail made jeep, to an modified Mercedes E55 AMG. After some life events, my uncle had to go to nursing care for the remainder of his life. The car below was in his garage, it had not moved since 1992. The car is originally a red car, not sure on the exact paint code. In about three more days the Marti Report should arrive giving me more info. What I know from the vin is that it came with the 290 HP 351 in it, also it only has 110,000 original miles on it, my uncle had owned it since 1970. The car was kind of rescued since the only other person that had interest in it wanted to chop it up and sell the parts. gutted the interior this last week, most of it is ok, but I think I will replace some parts that are worn (doors, dash, carpet other minor interior parts) next steps are to pull then engine and driveline, then get this thing media blasted to see how much metal work is needed.

Welcome to the forum! Kind of a crappy way to come into a classic Mustang. Lots of knowledgeable friendly folks here. The 290 HP engine is a 351w, 4 barrel, 10.7:1 cr, sometimes referred to as the M code. They're great stock and can be stroked big. Most strokers now are 408ci. If you go to

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

you can get a lot of info quick and free. What part of the world do you call home? So a stock E55 AMG wasn't enough? :)

Bob

Yes Welcome to the forum WelcometotheGroupCup.gif it's great place.

From the pic's that looks like a great starter. Not a great way to get it but for how long your uncle had it should be fairly unmolested. Look forward to hear what you're doing with it and watching the progress - good luck !

Welcome. Did an engine come with the car?

If you get some time scroll through the Project Progress forum and you can see some detailed work a few members have done to their cars. Some have made their cars much nicer than new.

Na The E55 needed a little more power: headers, smaller pulley, bigger intercooler and pump and newer intake tubes that are less restrictive, then a tune to get it all inline.

Yes the engine is in the car. My uncle was a mechanic for Ford for years, from the looks of the mods on the car, it was setup in the late 70's for racing. Found a few old drag slips under the seats when we took them out.

I see you are in Portland. Have you thought about taking it to American Metal Cleaning instead of media blasting? I guess it depends on how far you go with the tear down. It is pricey, but well worth the money. Looks like a great start.

So this came today, it turns out it is a GT

I think most of the slips are around 70 to 80 in the 1/4

Looking at this, I am wondering why the car has a center console, "deluxe" interior with the teak wood, rear spoiler, and the higher backed knitted buckets like the Mach 1s have. seems like those options came from somewhere else. is it worth it to take it completely back to how it was as per the report below, or just leave it with the seats it has, and the center console, etc and call it good? It is kind of rare I guess being a GT.

Edited by emncfi

Since the tranny is not original, and there will be some metal replaced (doors, floors, etc) is it really worth it to take it back to only the options it came with, or should I just keep the extra options from other cars (seats, wood interior panels, etc) and call it good?

Since Mustangs were marketed from the get go to build them to your liking, how you proceed is up to you. GT's have been around the Mach I value for many years. Drive train, seats, interior, brakes and wheels can all be taken back to stock with a wrench. I would only keep original a Boss or R or maybe Q code.

Can you advise how is your car equipped? Pics pics pics! We need pics! Please.

Bob

We all have our own opinions here. I believe that the value of a car is only important if you plan to sell it. If this is your dream car, and don't ever think you will sell it, build it how you like it. Or restore it correctly, sell it, and buy a less optioned car and build that one the way you want. Enjoy.

It does still have the gas cap, along with the space saver spare with its red inflation bottle. I remember the car sat alongside my grandparents garage for years in the 80's and has not been driven since 92, so its sat a lot of its life

We all have our own opinions here. I believe that the value of a car is only important if you plan to sell it. If this is your dream car, and don't ever think you will sell it, build it how you like it. Or restore it correctly, sell it, and buy a less optioned car and build that one the way you want. Enjoy.

I couldn't agree with this more. That's why I found a run of the mill sportsroof that was originally equipped with a 6 cylinder (not a rare "E" model") so that I can go full pro-touring if I want with none of the guilt.

Edited by Bruno
Grammar

More progress made this last weekend. Got the coolant system out, antifreeze was nice and green. Once the water pump and fan were off, the engine does turn over, but still going to pull it for a full rebuild. The car is now stripped from the dash back (except for windows and rear axle) next project is pulling the engine then the body blasting. Hopefully that will not reveal anything too bad, the trunk at least looks nice and solid.

So progress is slow, but its at least moving forward.  I picked up a 1969 Shelby console insert for it, along with a tach cluster. The engine also got pulled, we did learn that it is not the original engine, as it has a 1974 date stamp on it, the transmission is the correct 4 speed one though.  The engine is at the rebuilder, and the tranny will head to a rebuilder here soon also.  Front seats are blasted, frames powder coated, new foam and burlap, and new covers.  Some POR15 and a whole lot of free time made the steering wheel look nice again, we only had two cracks on the back of the spokes, none on the wheel rim itself, which made restoring the steering wheel easier.  more parts off to the blaster soon.  Did find a neat fact when we got the windshield pulled, the guy that pulled it said that it was the original to the car.

So the mustang passed a major milestone today, it is officially out of my garage, and at the blaster, from there it goes straight to the body shop.  When it comes back the fun part begins.  The interior is basically done and ready to install.  All the seats were taken down to the springs, which were blaster and powder coated black, new burlap, foam and covers were installed.  The fold down rear seat got blasted down to bare metal, repainted with new carpet and chrome installed.  The dash was also taken down to bare metal and so far the base has been repainted in the correct color.  I probably will get the tach cluster rebuilt here soon, all the same some newer pictures.  Some progress has been done as my health has semi improved.

post-39823-0-87023000-1461182609.jpg

post-39823-0-10471800-1461182693.jpg

post-39823-0-84482400-1461182743.jpg