Sign in to follow this  
BlackMachOne

Which wheels for 69 pro-touring Mach?

Which wheels for 69 Pro-Touring Mach 1?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which wheels for 69 Pro-Touring Mach 1?

• True Forged Mach 5 Brushed/Polished with stepped lip
    • IForged Variant Brushed/Polished with stepped lip

Hey guys, I've been a member on here for awhile but I have not really posted much. I am finishing up my Mach 1 this summer and need an opinion on wheels.

It has air ride and I am trying to squeeze 18x10-11's on the back with an 18x8 on the front.

I an doing brushed centers

polished stepped lips instead on the standard reversed lip

stainless assembly bolts.

Here are my 2 options. Which would you pick if price was the same?

Option 1: True Forged Mach 5

IMG_9961Medium-1_zps0bd1ea91.jpg

IMG_9962Medium-1_zps043dac5a.jpg

Option 2: IForged Variant

rim_zps349fa960.jpg

riosnake13_zpsdee4ec7d.jpg

(the wheels on the red car are actually HRE but have the stepped lip and same style as the IForged Variant)

Here is the car

9015b632-eb4b-4fc1-a5aa-c14d88a7b6f3_zpsd7126960.jpg

I Really like the MACH 5 weels, but I personally I don't like the stepped lip, just personal preference. True Forged Also has a Vintage Wheel (I think it is called) that is a nice tribute to the Magnum 500 wheel.

I Really like the MACH 5 weels, but I personally I don't like the stepped lip, just personal preference. True Forged Also has a Vintage Wheel (I think it is called) that is a nice tribute to the Magnum 500 wheel.

I've seen the magnum 500 replica. I like it but I want a little more custom look to the car.

I think the stepped lip just gives it that classic look rather than the smooth deep dish.

th_295-35-18_zps8dc607dc.jpgth_1969-ford-mustang-passenger-side-rear_zps0d53e781.jpg

th_DelMarStang-1_zps2189561a.jpgth_DelMarStang-4_zpsefff4178.jpg

True Forged make a nice wheel, a little heavy, but nice quality. I was playing with a Sleeper version of their wheel that my buddy bought and stuck it under the rear of my car, just to see how it would look. He got the non stepped lip, brushed center, polished outer.

IMG_20140322_152326_zpsxc2cvb4w.jpg

For a five spoke, it's ok. Not your traditional Mustang wheel. They were nice to deal with, and their timeline is spot on. He got the set within a day of what they said, right at 5 weeks. Plus, the price for a 3 piece wheel was better than most and still produced a very nice wheel. I voted TF.

I like the forged center and would even think about painting the center to match or compliment the car.

Not on your list but I think I would love to see some custom biller versions of the original GT when your car would have come with. That would be totally different and bad-ass

Bob

True Forged make a nice wheel, a little heavy, but nice quality. I was playing with a Sleeper version of their wheel that my buddy bought and stuck it under the rear of my car, just to see how it would look. He got the non stepped lip, brushed center, polished outer.

For a five spoke, it's ok. Not your traditional Mustang wheel. They were nice to deal with, and their timeline is spot on. He got the set within a day of what they said, right at 5 weeks. Plus, the price for a 3 piece wheel was better than most and still produced a very nice wheel. I voted TF.

Those look awesome. They look just like the Mach 5, but you say they are called Sleeper? Besides the lip, what is the difference? Did he mini tub? Do you have any more pictures?

I like the lip like that, I think I just like the stepped lip better.

True forged has my vote.

What hood is that? Is the boss-9 scoop molded to it?

Thanks! Yes it is a Boss 429 scoop molded to a stock metal 69 hood. Its bonded on so well that the hood can me lifted up by the scoop alone. I used the same type of bonding materials used to bond together corvettes.

I like the forged center and would even think about painting the center to match or compliment the car.

Not on your list but I think I would love to see some custom biller versions of the original GT when your car would have come with. That would be totally different and bad-ass

Bob

I have thought about black centers, but I already have Boze forged 5 spoke 18" wheels in black on my 94, and didnt want it to look like I used the same wheel on both cars. I plan to polish the lip on these or do a red pin stripe around the black lip when the 94 is back up and running.

th_zz168898_1719803009193_7737527_n_zps57cf1c35.jpg

What billet GT wheels are you thinking of? Are you talking about the Magnum 500's?

Steve over at True Forged said he liked my car so much he is throwing in custom engraved Mach 1 center caps :yes:

His wheels are for a '93 Fox Coupe that has been "slightly" modified to fit. I widened his inner wheel wells 3", 18 x 12 sporting a 335-30-18...

f9417a8a-ae63-47f2-92dc-0d19965cf16e_zps49d99d2f.jpg

My '70 is also mini tubed. He saw how fat that size tire is under my car and had to get some under his coupe. I guess the difference between these and your Mach 5's is these look to be a little tapered in the spoke area, but very similar. I went with Formula 43 wheels for mine, if you were wondering. I don't have as much offset, but have a stepped lip, makes the wheel center look just a little bit smaller, and less modern. (if 18's could ever be not modern, for now...)

Formula 43 RAD-14 18 x 12 with a 7" back space

IMG_20130827_163903_zps356beb82.jpg

If a fold down was to be put back in this car, it would have to be majorly modified. I thought 2" inner wheel wells would not have that much effect, WRONG!!! In reality, running this wide of a wheel and tire could have fit with about an inch or less total width added. My wheel and tire have room to swim, went from 14" to 16" wheel wells. The tabs for the interior attachment are just about flush with the stock inner wheel wells and moving them in, you get the picture. I imagine it could be pulled off, but it would take a bunch of work.

IMG_20140109_173528_zps8fe25873.jpg

Laguna grey center, brushed and clear coated outer with the inner barrel powder coated semi gloss black, to help hide the dust. The bolts are on the back side, so it will be a little easier to clean.

Edited by latoracing
OOPs

Wow that looks good. I'll be pulling my Mach out of storgae within the week so I'll do the measurements to see if I can accomplish the fold down and still fit 18x11's with a 1" tub or so.

You said the bolts are in the back; so its a 3 piece? TF told me they could not do a 3 piece with the stepped lip.

Those look like a RAD S5 wheel

c10383_15c1502b222f4e21899ffaf2723117a3.png_srz_564_525_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Either wheel would look nice on your Mach. These things are hard to decide on, it took me over a year before I finally made a choice. There are just so many out there. Take your time, cause these things are not cheap!

I Really like the MACH 5 weels, but I personally I don't like the stepped lip, just personal preference. True Forged Also has a Vintage Wheel (I think it is called) that is a nice tribute to the Magnum 500 wheel.[/quote]

You made me curious when you said this as I am going with AR500's so I went to see what they looked like, their website is not the friendliest to navigate though. Did you mean the one they call Retro?

I Really like the MACH 5 weels, but I personally I don't like the stepped lip, just personal preference. True Forged Also has a Vintage Wheel (I think it is called) that is a nice tribute to the Magnum 500 wheel.[/quote]

You made me curious when you said this as I am going with AR500's so I went to see what they looked like, their website is not the friendliest to navigate though. Did you mean the one they call Retro?

Yeah that is the name. I couldnt remember right off. Here is a quick pic I found of one

IMG_2148.jpg