Sign in to follow this  
zudman

Wiper motor

First the ?..When you turn your wiper motor off, should the arms return to the down position or just stop where they are at ?..

Now for what happened today. Just got the car back from painter ( he had to touch up a few things ) I had him paint the wiper arms, so I put them back on. When I turned the motor on... Can anyone guess where this is going? They went down across the window trim ( trim is painted ) and stopped on the cowl just short of the hood and yes It did leave some nice scratches. I didn't take any pics because I was so POFF at my self I couldn't even think, I even did more damage then good getting them back off....Oh well, time to call the painter again..Thanks for listening I feel somewhat better now....TZ

When you turn your wipers off, they go back to their bottom position. If you turn off your engine while the wipers are working, then they stop right where they are. At least that's how mine work.

G

Edited by Guillaume69

Ok..even with the Engine running the arms don't return down. Does anyone know where to start ?.Replace the Switch, the Motor, both ?. I can live with it the way it is, but would like it working right.....Thanks...TZ

There is a 'park' position in the motor, which will return the arm to the same position every time, unless it is worn out.

The motor simply rotates a spindle, 360 degrees, round and round. the park feature is the only trick in the motor. When it quits, may as well get a new motor. The motor is a fairly reliable item. Both my old cars had original working motors. Electric motors usually only fail when they get low voltage supplied, and overload.

If it is just intermittent, you could try replacing the switch. If you wiggle the switch and it will park the wiper arms every now and then, it is the switch.

Both are fairly simple replacement jobs. Since you have the cowl coming off anyhow, it is a good time to remove and refurb, test and/or replace the motor.

Be careful removing the clip off the spindle, don't force it. It is a neat design end clip, and will slide off nicely when you do it right.

If you find it is the switch, I guess you don't need to remove the motor.....

Its unclear at this point if the wiper motor is still trying to work or not. If it is then simply remove the arms again and turn on ignition switch then the wiper motor switch if all seems well the arm shafts are going back and forth then turn off the wiper motor switch first and see if the motor parks and stops. If all this looks normal then replace the arms in there normal parked position.

Dave

Ok this is what I tried.

checked fuse ok, AM radio, backup lights work.

turned on switch, Arms rotate with full range of motion, turn switch off arms stopped at about 12:00, wiggled switch, nothing. So when I take the cowl off I'll check over/ replace the Motor....Thanks for the input...TZ