Sign in to follow this  
wfridolfson

valve lash

putting together a 351W and just got my pushrods in, installed and was setting valve lash and I have a problem, I set lash on all and came back around to check again and I can spin pushrods on a few that I have set. I have a TFS stage 2 hydraulic roller with retro roller lifters and comp gold roller rockers. Set lash to where I couldn't turn push rod than half turn, is there something I'm doing wrong

thanks for any help

Instead of spinning pushrods, you should be feeling for up and down clearance. When there is no longer any up and down clearance moving them gently, then you can set your lash.

This spinning thing really gets people messed up.

This is correct. In really short form - pick a cylinder and turn engine until intake valve is at full open valve/fully compressed spring ( valve spring compressed as much as turning engine gives) now go to opposite cylinder in firing order and adjust intake valve - spin push rod and adjust nut until you feel resistance and just hit no lash, now tighten an extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn ( higher revving engines closer to an 1/8). Repeat for rest of valves. Should be done again after engine running and warmed up. I like doing adjustment with engine running at this point.

if you went 1/2 turn past where you couldn't spin the pushrod then you are way too tight and probably holding all the valves open.