Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

Poor fastback trunk fitment, why is this so common and hard to fix?

Something that annoys me when i have seen firsthand original boss 302, 429 and other rare original cars at auctions and even online the rear tunks fit horrible. Even on my car which has all original body parts doesnt fit ideal no matter how much i tried adjusting it.

I have come to the conclusion most resto and show guys must spend a ton of time modifying the edges and panels to get a perfect fit but overall this is nuts to have to go to those lengths for panel alignment

What are your guys thoughts on this panel fit?

Something that annoys me when i have seen firsthand original boss 302, 429 and other rare original cars at auctions and even online the rear tunks fit horrible. Even on my car which has all original body parts doesnt fit ideal no matter how much i tried adjusting it.

I have come to the conclusion most resto and show guys must spend a ton of time modifying the edges and panels to get a perfect fit but overall this is nuts to have to go to those lengths for panel alignment

What are your guys thoughts on this panel fit?

You are absolutely correct. But put on a repo hood and its a ton x a ton

of work modifying the seams.

Dave

You are absolutely correct. But put on a repo hood and its a ton x a ton

of work modifying the seams.

Dave

8553864337_01639bc281_b.jpg

Dynacorn front end, OEM fenders, Dyancorn hood. Lined right up. :cool2:

My decklid doesn't fit very well either, but part of an accurate resto is living with it. That's the way they made em.

It's kinda like the intense resto guys getting the right amount of orange peel in the paint.

8553864337_01639bc281_b.jpg

Dynacorn front end, OEM fenders, Dyancorn hood. Lined right up. :cool2:

My repo hood on the passenger side measuring from back corner to front corner was 3/8 shorter than the drivers side. It was also a dynacorn maybe just got a bad one but I have heard a lot of horrible stories about the hoods tho but I guess they luck up and make a good one every now and then.

Dave

simply put our cars were poorly crafted and engineered and were designed to be super affordable and nothing else. we are spoiled today with new cars fitment i think and we almost want to expect old 45+ cars to be the same when the tooling and quality control was never there. I have seen original classic mustangs with under 30k miles and the paint quality was horrible to say the least along with panel fit.

my buddy has his 69 in a local shop and they charged him $20k to do the body and paint and they actually cut his trunk in 2 sections and changed the bend and tig welded together, huge amounts of work in panel fit but it does look freaking incredible to see perfection on a classic car. they also did the same tricks to his fenders, valences etc even adding metal to the edged to get a perfect gas all around, crazy amount of work

i'm not sure i necessarily agree with poor engineering. they didn't have the computer aided tools available to them like they have today. and also some companies (probably most) limit the amount of time engineers can put into perfecting things (because time is money...).

I built my car around my new dynacorn deck lid so mine fits perfect lol.

Seriously tho I really did, I replaced my quarters, filler panel, trap door surround, tail light panel.

You are right tho, ive seen a lot of nice cars where it look likes s*** when you walk to the back of the car.

I am satisfied with the alignment of the OE panels on my car. You gotta remember these were production cars. Built in a day on an assemble line with semi-skilled labor. That being said any comparison to todays cars is just unfair. Just my opinion. Brian

I built my car around my new dynacorn deck lid so mine fits perfect lol.

Seriously tho I really did, I replaced my quarters, filler panel, trap door surround, tail light panel.

You are right tho, ive seen a lot of nice cars where it look likes s*** when you walk to the back of the car.

+1 Built the entire rear of the car around the trunk lid, so it would line up, and took my time doing such. They didn't take the time to get it "perfect", (which mine is not), just get another one out the door was their goal.

IMG_20130130_183013_zpsdc315896.jpg