Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Smoothed tail light bezels!!!

So I felt like a change today, so I decided to do some filler work!

Ive always liked the look of the billet tail light bezels that you can get for earlier cars but never saw anything available for 70's.

Plus id want 'blacked' out billet bezels for my car, so.........

Im doing the boss 302 look on my car with all the black accents so I did this......

IMG_20140620_180515408_zpsf7df58ea.jpg

Sweet! you need to post a picture of them on the car. I bet that looks sick.

Great idea.

Yea I like how they turned out.

Not a quick job, gotta be patient with the sanding block, then even more so with the round sanding block for all the inside corners.

The first step was to sandblast all the flaking chrome off, then fill all the recessed areas with 3m panel bond.

24 hours later grind down/smooth out the panel bond, then start with the filler.

The small lip on the part that goes towards the lens was ground away with a carbide then also smoothed with filler.

That does look interesting and somehow remind me of the current model Mustang tail lights. I am not that crazy about the current model design but those look more like a better spin on the original. Would like to see what they look like once they are installed in a back panel.

That does look interesting and somehow remind me of the current model Mustang tail lights. I am not that crazy about the current model design but those look more like a better spin on the original. Would like to see what they look like once they are installed in a back panel.

That was the idea somewhat.

Obviously I'm doing a restomod and just wanted to do something a little different back there.

If I end up not liking them I'll toss them and buy new ones.

I couldn't have used these anyways so nothing to loose by trying.

So I thought id throw one on quick to see what it looks like.

I think im going to stick with them, I like the look even better on the car and once the tail light panel gets blacked out will probably look even better.

IMG_20140625_191206428_HDR_zps4b6fb8d4.jpg

Edited by 70fastbak

Hot damn, those are exceptional! I don't know how you got the idea from the new bezels, but they are a complete success. So clean, simple and how Ford should have designed them, imho. You certainly have an eye for design. Congrats.

Bob

Hot damn, those are exceptional! I don't know how you got the idea from the new bezels, but they are a complete success. So clean, simple and how Ford should have designed them, imho. You certainly have an eye for design. Congrats.

Bob

I wanted something cleaner looking but without really changing the looks.

Something that somebody see's n thinks theres something different about it but cant put their finger on.

Obviously a mustang guy will know right away.

Just cleaning it up a little, im deleting the side markers also, I really don't like how big ford designed them on the 70 and the fact that one is horizontal and the other vertical, they are going.

Thanks the for the kind comments guys.