Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

How do you guys keep going?

Words of encouragement from your significant other?

From your buddies?

From ppl on here?

I need something right now, lol.

This car has not been nice, im not getting a break on anything.

Got a cowl to put in, which is fine I expected that but now ive got the cowl out I see the inner kick panels are shot, the outside kick panel are gone and no top lip left on the firewall...ugh.

Heres me thinking the sheet metal was almost done...ya right.

Oh and the holes in both rear aprons for the hood hinges have all been plasma cut out for whatever reason.

I know it'll get done and it'll get done right but man......this thing is kicking my a**

Edited by 70fastbak
changed

Lol. I've had mine since 2008 and it is still a rolling shell. The more I dug the more I found messed up. Over the years there have been many periods where I didn't get anything done and asked the same question you are. Everyone said "keep with it and you will be glad you did." They're right, If you get rid of it you will kick yourself. Take a brake from it for a little bit, then check out some of the progress posted on this forum. It's helped me before.

Btw, the drip rails are on their way. I pm'd you the tracking number the other day.

Lol. I've had mine since 2008 and it is still a rolling shell. The more I dug the more I found messed up. Over the years there have been many periods where I didn't get anything done and asked the same question you are. Everyone said "keep with it and you will be glad you did." They're right, If you get rid of it you will kick yourself. Take a brake from it for a little bit, then check out some of the progress posted on this forum. It's helped me before.

I guess I shouldn't complain then huh, ive only had my car since March of this year, lol.

Ive got all the back of the car car finished, now on with the front.

Hey 70fastbak-- For me the mindset is that I'm committed to a marathon. And it might take more patience and endurance than I thought a marathon would. Also-- I've had some very good help in the form of a Mustang friend that is very good with sheet metal.

This site is a very good source for information when questions arise. And I've been fortunate enough to pick up some nice parts through some very nice folks on this board.

So my advice-- you're early into it. And if you had some deadline to get it done-- consider moving the deadline out a bit as you find more things that need fixed. The advice to walk away from time to time is good too. I think one's life can get way out of balance very easily. Besides the Mustang, what other things give you some joy and peace?? Spend some time with the significant other, your kids (if you have any), entertainment-- whatever form it takes. Get some balance back occasionally and then push forward. My friend and I have been at it since last July-- about 10 months. We're nearing the end of paint shooting now. It's been a long haul and there were some setbacks. Just keep your goal in mind and maintain an attitude that you will persevere-- and you will.

Does this help?? Hang in there! Jim :wink:

Edited by 69stanggt
clarify

I have had my 69 Coupe since mid 2001 & I am still doing sheet metal work. Family & life get in the way sometimes, my wife & I have moved 4 times & I was unemployed for a while all during this time. When I get frustrated I walk away for a few days to a week, I will go do some mods on my DD 2000 Ranger & then come back to the Mustang. It will get done, just do not rush it. I also like to look through other members projects & see what they started with & how far they have come, gives me inspiration to continue.

Mike.

Well you guys helped already.

I am a welder by trade and a fabricator so doing the work isn't the issue.

I guess I was just just hoping to get a break with some stuff being good but that just isn't the case.

Typical florida car I guess rusting from the top down rather than bottom up.

Im happy with the progress ive made in 3 months and there is no deadline, I just miss driving a toy.

I sold a turbo charged 03 mustang cobra to buy this thing, lol.

I don't regret it, 70 fastback is my dream car.

I know I will get there eventually.

Just thought I might have gotten a break on some metal :001_rolleyes:

At least all the important stuff was solid, frame rails, torque boxes, rockers etc etc.

i split time of the hard stuff with small/easy tasks like cleaning up piece parts and painting. those simple things were easy to make me feel like i was making progress. those things needed completed at some point anyways.

I bought a rust bucket on purpose, knowing I would end up replacing 75% of the car. I really enjoy the metal part of the build (fabricator by trade) which drives me to learn more about how they are built. I guess if I had started with a rust free car I wouldn't have gone where I have. I have been at the metal stage for two years, witch is nearing the end. Work and other projects have taken a lot of my time over the span of my project, but when you only work on something less than 10 hours a week(on average), it takes a while. There is no way I could, or would have this car done by someone else, but in the end it will be worth all the effort I have put into it. I have around three more years (goal time line) to see what I can come up with, and have a car with NO debt involved with it. YOU are the only one who drives the timeline, might as well make it enjoyable. That is what it is all about, at least for me.

For me it's a hobbie. I always have a project going in the shop. I need to have an outlet for hands on creativity. When it's done I will find another car, truck, boat, airplane to restore. I enjoy working on them as much as driving them:001_rolleyes:.

Plus I can hide from the misses out there.:biggrin:

Just enjoy the journey and work at your own pace. I think that's what keeps it fun.

The day I decided I didn't care anymore about when I'd be done, it completely changed my view of things. My project became something nice "on the side", something to go to when I feel like doing so. Before that, it was way to "central" in my life and I quickly started to sense that it was going the wrong way. Too much stress and family pressure. Just not enough fun and pleasure...

But God knows I miss driving that thing!

Restoring these cars takes patience. Don't get caught up in how long it takes, just enjoy the journey because once it's on the road it's life changing. There is nothing like driving a classic! Here's a before and my most recent after to help motivate, I'm doing 6-7K miles a year since finishing it and it's been a blast!

DSC00437.jpg

20140602_114756_zpsven1xygt.jpg

I bought my car in 2006, so I've been at it for 8 years. I remind myself that these cars are 45 years old and in most cases they've been through a number of hands. Many of the previous owners had no idea that the cars might be of interest to anyone and might be worth preserving. No other way to explain why I find holes cut into interior trim with what looks like a hand saw.

The other thing I focus on is a pretty clear idea of what the car will me once it's completed.

I've been through my share of frustration with things I didn't expect. Buckled floor pan. Engine that was supposed to be low hour that mostly needed to be rebuilt. Trans that was supposed to be rebuilt that hadn't been touched. Paying someone to do woke that lasted forever. Now that I can see its all coming together makes it all worth it.

Well, is been peaks and valleys for me from the get go. Car was torn down circa 1999. It's like the old joke, how do you eat an elephant? I have a list on the wall with several small jobs, then check them off when done. As I see the list of finished small jobs checked off, I get a feeling of accomplishment. The jobs I fretted the most ended up being the most fun and rewarding. I sure hope the electrical continues with that pattern. Good luck!

Bob

Its cool to hear all your thoughts and your own stories.

Like I said there is no deadline for me either and I get bored doing nothing, ive done lots of projects on different cars ive owned just no 'full' restorations.

Its fun, just got to a point today where I felt a little discouraged, im sure it happens a lot to many ppl and im sure it'll happen again during this build.

It just seemed that every piece of metal I took off there was another rusted out piece under it, lol.

Oh well, that's why I bought it I guess...a project!

Its cool to hear all your thoughts and your own stories. It just seemed that every piece of metal I took off there was another rusted out piece under it, lol.

Oh well, that's why I bought it I guess...a project!

What you stated about finding more rusted metal under other pieces is what I am into now. I found the r/s torque box & floor support were rotted, I removed the torque box to find the rear section of the outer frame rail & the kick panel at the very front were also rotted both hidden by the torque box.

100_0645_zps9a87d0a8.jpg

100_0652_zpsa53ff0da.jpg

I know what your going thru Mike, lol.

Although my torque boxes are all good.

One thing I did find was whoever did floorpan repairs last time around used a torch and cut all the bottom of the firewall off too, so something that I could have used (with some repair to the top lip) now has to be replaced with a new firewall.

At least the rockers and roof are original, lol.

Going through progress threads that are at a more advanced stage than me helps to keep me motivated. I had a big break in progress due to some family stuff and saving up for some parts I needed. I could have made some more progress in other areas, but it was difficult to stay motivated knowing I did not have what I needed to complete it. Now I don't think I have that obstacle.

To keep your motivation up .. stop by a local Mustang Show. Talk with the guys who have been in the same boat. When I was down & distraught .. seeing some of the finished cars made me want to crawl back under mine and keep on chugging along.

Or go by and ask one of the "professionals" how much they'd charge to do your car for you .. that'll make ya think :)

Make a list of all that needs done and take it one bit at a time. Projects get overwealming and that is why so many people take them apart and then sell them at that point.

I have my 66 conv striped down and the back half of the car mostly cut off of it. I keep going as I really really want my car back so I have been using the phrase ' desperate times, desperate measures' so this is just what has to be done to get the car where I want it to be

Bob

I understand the feeling completely. I bought my Coupe 2 years ago thinking I would be able to get it on the road that fall. Boy was I wrong, and sometimes feel in over my head. It is still in a lot better shape than alot of the projects I see on here. Figured when I first got it I would be replacing door skins and hood, then sanding and painting it. No I have replaced a door, a door skin, a quarter panel ( which I will be doing again since I rushed it and found out I didn't get it right), the roof panel, a wheel housing, and a Lower quarter panel. Then My son was born and I haven't touched it in over a year. I hope to get back to it in the next couple of weeks.