Sign in to follow this  
69Midd4Stang

Correct Gauge Temp Reading

Looking for feedback and thoughts on the temp gauge levels.

Running a 390 with a 180 degree thermo in it.

At idle the gauge sits at about the 3/4 level.

When driving the gauge rides at 1/2.

Wondering how others appear to be on their gauges as to see if I am running hot or not.

I can certainly understand your comment on the gauges.

I was hoping for a "feel" as to how other gauges were showing under similar conditions.

Maybe another question - any thoughts on how best to review temp level of the engine to allow confirmation of the operation of the gauges.

New sending unit was installed as well.

Get an IR thermometer sensor (auto parts stores have them for $35-$75), and read the water temperature at the thermostat housing and compare to your gauge readings. You'll be able to get a real good idea of what the gauge is indicating.

Brian - It sounds like you and I are similar on the gauge other then I am running a 180 thermo? How do you feel your engine is at during the summer heat?

I will look into see if I can locate a better quality sending unit.

Thank you all for the feedback!

It seems that back in the day FORD parts were a little more specific than today. One size or part did not fit all needs. This sender was for the 428 CJ and It is my belief that the RED insulator band on the top was color coded to the Red w/white wire harness on the CJ. The info on the box also meant something in my case the SW 552. My part information came from the guys at the CJ Registry. It was worth the time effort and expense to get a correct reading Dash temp. gauge. If you know the part you need they can be found. Brian