Sign in to follow this  
helrazr70

70 fastback brake lights inop

I was replacing the auto brake pedal with a manual pedal and after I got it installed the brake lights do not work. The headlights, turn signals, parking lights, instrument cluster, courtesy, and hazard lights all work. It's ONLY the brake lights.

The only tell-tale thing that happened was that the brake light switch fell down and made contact with the brake pedal and there was a brief arc. I replaced the fuse and the brake lights still don't work.

I got out the test light and with the key on I have power on both sides of all fuses. I also tested the brake light switch. With it unpressed I have power on one side of the brake switch and with the pedal pressed I have power on both sides of the switch.

I traced the wiring through the diagram but I lose it into the column harness for the turn signal switch--which has everything working.

Did I blow the brake switch or turn signal switch?

I am stumped.

Edited by helrazr70
Edited to add the cause/resolution

Dump the test light and get a volt meter. I have never figured out what a test light is good for....maybe a ice pick...the light just shows voltage present...you need to know how much. With the light on the open side of the brake switch,does it dim when brakes are applied ? The switch can show proper voltage but may not be able to handle the current since you shorted it. As stated,just replace it to eliminate it as a problem.then go from there..good luck!!

I did use a DVOM. I had 12V on both sides of the switch.

The resolution:

I swung by CJ Pony Parts when I was in Harrisburg today and picked up a brake switch, turn signal cam, and a turn signal switch. (FYI: now you can buy a switch WITH a harness connector. New ones used to come without the plastic connector and you had to install each wire/terminal from the new switch into your original connector.)

The easiest to try was the turn signal switch. I popped the plug loose under the column and plugged the new one in and then reconnected the battery.

BOOM! Brake lights galore!

I popped the steering wheel off and checked things over and found that the cam was a little loose and there was a flat piece of metal sticking out from under the edge. I am guessing I hit the turn signal lever at some point and knocked the metal piece loose. I assume that the metal bar was a conductor of some sort for when the brakes are applied.

I will just install the new switch and rebuild the old one and keep it for a rainy day, another car, or ebay.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!