Sign in to follow this  
Fordrevhead

Carlisle All Ford Nationals

Who is going?

Also, if you have been before, best spectator parking, where to go and not go, traffic patterns and times, what not to miss, good places to eat nearbye, anything is appreciated!

Staying in Mechanicsville so will be driving 7 hrs from The Adirondacks to there on Thursday, then coming in from the East Fri/Sat/Sun. Have other things to do in the area one of those days depending on events.

Thanks

If you get there early you can park in the surrounding neighborhoods for free. If you want/need to park close you can pay for parking right outside gate 1. Unless you paid to put your car in the showfield there really isn't any spectator parking.

There are several small local restaurants downtown. I can't remember the names of any of them though. Nothing stood out as spectacular, but most of them are decent. Several of the regular chain restaurants are out on I-81.

The place is huge, I think 81 acres or so. Before my knees fell victim to arthritis I would walk the entire faigrounds at least 3 times looking for deals. If there is something in particular you're lookiing for, do your research to find out what it's worth so you don't overpay. If you see something used that you really like and the price is fair, buy it. It may not still be there later. The vendors selling used stuff often ask wildly different prices for their stuff, so you have to know if it's above or below market value.

I'm going to clean out my garage.

I gone every year since the beginning of this century (LOL). Okay this will make my 15th year in a row. A little too far to drive my '70 Mach so I'll take the newer Shelby. Always a blast and lot's to see and many small parts and pieces to buy too. :)

That was the trip south. Short of a few mountains to climb its downhill or flat most of the 7 hours. I reset it when we got there and during the 4 days of local driving from the hotel (still highway), but for dinner, through town, parking lots, stuck in traffic a few times, down to Hershey, etc I got 17.2 which is identical to my local average here. But then the trip home pulled that average up to 25.2. So the total trip was probably about 27 average.

Awesome weather, awesome turn out, record in fact, glad we made it! 2011 GT got 29.2mpg!!!! Gotta love 3:31's in sixth gear!

I drove my 2014 Shelby GT-500 and got 25.5 mpg on one tank. Even going through the mountains and maintaining 70+ mph still got 23+. I compute my mpg manually. The "MPG" gauge in both my last two GT-500's always showed me using about 10% slightly more fuel than the pump.

Here's a link to a Carlisle Album of pictures I took while up there. Got there a day early and went with a group to the Carlisle Military Museum and went shooting with some other friends who live in the area on the last day. Had a blast, again as usual, and tried to get pictures of most of the 1969-70 Mustangs in attendance.