Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish

New Truck Lid Decal

I just had the trunk lid and quarter panels repainted along with a new rear decal that says Mach 1 on my 69. When I bought/ordered it back in 68 it came with the solid stripe. I kinda liked the Mach1 punched out in the newer trunk lid stripe so thats what I had put on.

But....its got some pointy stuff around the letters and I'm wondering how fragile they might be? If I was waxing that truck lid and wasn't too careful could I break off one of those pointy ends on the letters? They look pretty substantial but I thought I WOULD ASK IF ANYONE HAD ANY GOOD OR BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM. The stripe is suppose to be concours quality.

She's really running sweet! Steve

Edited by Kingfish
spelling error

Maybe clearcoat the trunk lip. I have a set of replacement stripes for my car and although not ready to put the n just yet, I was wondering the same thing when planning the job.

The edges and tips of vinyl letters cant really be trimmed or beveled when installed, and if you are unlucky and have a adhesion failure, or some delamination, it is about impossible to fix.

So I am planning on some clearcoat at this stage. Would like to know from anyone who has run clear over stripes about how it turned out and how durable the finish is.

My original stripes have been on for a long while and they still have edges and tips you can feel with your fingertips. also they are stuck on very firmly, no lifting or missing letters anywhere on the car. I guess surface preparation is key to the result with stick on stripes.