Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Need pictures of lower saddle Radiator bracket

Switching from a 20" to 3 row 24" for 351 Cleveland. I already have the upper and lower brackets and the Radiator, I just can't figure which way the lower brackets go on.

Can someone explain or better yet a picture of one installed.

Thank you!

Same as jmlay's pictures at the Left side. Took a look at the catalog photo and yes hard to make any sense of how it goes in. Of course can't be seen from above after the radiator is in. Don't forget the rubber pads. Brian

Brian-I see what your talking about and thank you for taking the time to send the pictures.

On your bracket it looks like the unbolted piece of metal is bent up under the lower radiator support. My new parts have that piece pointing straight down, that's why I couldn't figure how to bolt it on. Also, there is no hole on the strut rod frame, so I guess I'll have drill one.

On my new 24" Radiator, the sides of the radiator has flanges with holes so that it can be bolted to the radiator support like the 20" radiator, but the radiator support is not wide enough. I know the 24" rad. doesn't bolt to the support, it bolts to the 2 lower brackets and upper U shape bracket.

Maybe I got the wrong radiator, does yours have flanges on the side as well. Can you take a picture of your for my reference.

Thanks, John

Edited by prayers1

Thanks Brian for the pictures, your a great guy. I'd give ya a hug, but your too far!

I wonder why there are bolt holes on both sides of the radiator in your picture, that is the same on mine. You would think it would bolt up to the Rad. support but the Rad. is just a little too wide.

Nice engine bay!!! Is that a 428 or 429. In H.S. my first car was a 1969 Mach 1 that had a 428 SCJ and a friend of mine (classmate) had a 1970 429. We never raced, but we thought each of us had the baddest car.

Edited by prayers1

The nice thing about the radiator set up on the 69 is no bolts to install. The radiator sits in the lower brackets with no attachments. The upper bracket holds it down and in place. Brian

Brian,

FYI- If my name looks familiar, we've chatted on the concourse forum about emissions decal location.

I've been struggling with this same situation. I purchased repro lower radiator brackets from NPD but could not figure out how they are installed. My car came with no radiator or brackets so I assumed they bolted to the frame, but there's no way those brackets will hold the radiator if attached via bolts. I assumed I received the wrong brackets but this discussion is leading me to believe I may have the correct parts. Any chance you can give me a quick rundown on how they are installed? It looks to me (from your photos) that I need to ben them around the frame instead of bolting them to it. If that's the case, what keeps them from sliding rearward and the radiator moving out of position?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Brian for the pictures, your a great guy. I'd give ya a hug, but your too far!

I wonder why there are bolt holes on both sides of the radiator in your picture, that is the same on mine. You would think it would bolt up to the Rad. support but the Rad. is just a little too wide.

Nice engine bay!!! Is that a 428 or 429. In H.S. my first car was a 1969 Mach 1 that had a 428 SCJ and a friend of mine (classmate) had a 1970 429. We never raced, but we thought each of us had the baddest car.

About all the bolt holes in the radiator frame; the fan shroud uses some of those holes the others are vacant.

The motor is the OE 428 with the CJ rotating assembly, Offy intake, Holley 3310, 785 CFM Carb, four speed and a 3:25 geared posi. All day 2 mods on the car when I got it. Except the rear end that was a 4:11 set up and not what I liked for the open road so I changed that. Brian

[quote=mjgraniero;

Any chance you can give me a quick rundown on how they are installed? It looks to me (from your photos) that I need to ben them around the frame instead of bolting them to it. If that's the case, what keeps them from sliding rearward and the radiator moving out of position?

Thanks,

Mike

Sure, Hi Mike; This is the set up on my car and how the brackets are attached is with the one bolt, in the picture, so they don't ' slide '. As mentioned some bending may be required I really can't say as this was not something I addressed. There may have been a spot weld on the top side and maybe another member can confirm ? These brackets give the radiator bottom a ' home ' and snug it up to the radiator support wall and structurally do nothing. What about looking at jmhibs car ? Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

[quote name=mjgraniero;

Any chance you can give me a quick rundown on how they are installed? It looks to me (from your photos) that I need to ben them around the frame instead of bolting them to it. If that's the case' date=' what keeps them from sliding rearward and the radiator moving out of position?

Thanks,

Mike

Sure, Hi Mike; This is the set up on my car and how the brackets are attached is with the one bolt, in the picture, so they don't ' slide '. As mentioned some bending may be required I really can't say as this was not something I addressed. There may have been a spot weld on the top side and maybe another member can confirm ? These brackets give the radiator bottom a ' home ' and snug it up to the radiator support wall and structurally do nothing. What about looking at jmhibs car ? Brian[/quote]

Thanks Brian. The lift in Jimhib's garage isn't working yet so I can't get a good look at the brackets without jacking up the friont end more than I'm comfortable with. Actually, I'm reluctant to do anything near or around his car since it's 100% original (except paint) and has a fresh paint job. Accidents happen I don't want to be the one responsible for even the slightest ding on a body panel, fender, etc that has survived for 46 years... When he gets back in town I'm sure we'll take a look at it. I was hoping to have the brackets in place before dropping the motor in, which I expect to do some time over the next couple weeks. Engine bay work is so much easier without a 428 block in the way.

Don't know if you found the info you were looking for or not. Here are some pictures that may help. Mine were tack welded on the top and where the little lip sat down on the lip on the strut rod support frame. And also had the bolt into the strut rod support frame.

Hope this helps

Dave

det0326- Thanks for the pictures. Those brackets look original, are they. What motor do you have.

I took a look at it tonight and for some reason when I placed the bracket down it fell into place, somewhat a little different then above and I had to shave a little off.

DSC02018_zps0a58cbb3.jpg

DSC02019_zps4c1daca2.jpg

Yea they are original, this is a R code factory 428CJ, 4 speed car. The engine is long gone, it had been removed by the PO. Some say I should fine another one and put back in it. I was thinking about putting 351W back in it because I have an AOD tranny I want to go to as you are doing.

I am not sure if you could use an AOD on a FE or not. Guess I need to check all this out before deciding which way to go. Motor and tranny is still a ways off for me, I'm still in the body work stage.

Prayers1, who did you buy your rad from and which brand is it?

Det0326, Yes, you can run an AOD behind an FE. I did it and others have also. BUT, the ONLY way to do it is to use an adapter plate to mate the two together. The adapter comes with a mini starter for the conversion. I have pics if you decide to go that route. My car IS a factory R-Code car. And trying to find a block was a real pain in the arse. A PO somewhere in the past installed a 315C with an FMX. I had no way of tracking down the original FE and trans. Bummed about that one.

Bruce

I bought the Radiator from a local guy, ADCO Mustang, 2302 ROCK SPRINGS RD

HARRISON, Arkansas (870) 741-7525. I may have bought the last one. It was a Scott Drake Brass 3 core 24" for $249. Eddie has 3 warehouses of new and old parts, I usually go to him when I'm in a hurry, he's pretty high on price and he uses the Drake book as his price list. Besides the old parts, he's a vendor for Drake.

I was going to get one from Radiatorexpress.com, I spoke to a girl named Jeana 417-520-0117. She first said not in stock and the cost was 315, I quoted the on line price and she looked further and found it available at 269.98 (Brass 3 row 24" for a 428 drivers side and Pass side).

If there's something your hunting for, I can take a swing by Eddies place and ask. Fastest to reach me at prayers1@cox.net.

John

Edited by prayers1