Sign in to follow this  
MustangBobby

Quarter widening

I'm getting ready to widen mine by pushing the outer wheelhouse out 2 inches. I've had the new outers and quarter skins for a while but haven't had time to do it yet. I don't recall seeing anywhere on here where that's been done though.

I remembered when the Anvil Mustang was built, and they did some neat mods to the rear of that car. Here is a link if you want to check it out...

I'm thinking if you are wanting to go wider in the rear, then the front should probably be done as well. Espically if you are wanting to stick a tire in the 275 and up range.

Yeah, Anvil is the only thing that pops up on a google search, but I know I've seen it on here. Instead of a bunch of slits, like Anvil did, they just did one big cut and put in a long sliver of sheet metal. I'm pretty sure it is less work to do a mini tub than widen the quarter, but I'm just leaving my options open. I understand how they did the top of the quarter, but I am very curious about how they made the quarter match up at the rocker and pinch weld behind the wheel. I know I can do 295's stock. I would prefer 315's, but is 20 mm really worth the labor. I think the 335 craze is too big and doesn't look very good. Anyway, enough rambling, and thanks.

Edited by MustangBobby

I'm in the process of adding new inner wheel wells to the lip of the existing well to add an extra 1/2" so my 315s can move without fear of rubbing. I think it's a lot easier to add room to the inboard side and not have to mess with the body lines. However, I did have to go with a narrower rear so I could use readily available 11" wheels.

I'm planning to retain my fold down rear seat and hoping that I don't have to modify it so it still fits. It's going to be close.

I agree with your sentiment regarding the look of 335s, but I also want my tires to be functional. The Azenis 615K is the stickiest 200 UTQG rated tire you can get IMO, and the biggest size it comes in is a P315. I don't think a BFG G-force rival (also rated at 200) even made the top 10 at the Ultima Battery street car challenge last year.

Mini tubbing is much easier (IMO) than all the body work that is involved with the exterior mod. The rear area interior is the other downfall of the inner fenderwell modifications, which might turn out to be a bunch more work than the quarter pannel mod. Either way, fat tires rule!

I like my 335's!!!!!! :)

I have thought about just taking the wheel well up to the frame rail, and not messing with the frame. That would be an extra 1.5 inches which is right around 38mm, which would be plenty of room for 315's. Then I just have to relocate the seat belt mounting hole/plate, because I want to keep the rear seat, but by the time this car is done, my 8 and 6 year olds will be in college. Or I could just be happy with 295's and not mess with a thing. I think tire sizes are getting lost these days. 295 is a GOOD chunk of rubber, but seems like nothing compared to the 335/345 craze. All I know is I have plenty of time to figure it out. I'm still searching for that thread.

I'm in the process of adding new inner wheel wells to the lip of the existing well to add an extra 1/2" so my 315s can move without fear of rubbing. I think it's a lot easier to add room to the inboard side and not have to mess with the body lines. However, I did have to go with a narrower rear so I could use readily available 11" wheels.

I'm planning to retain my fold down rear seat and hoping that I don't have to modify it so it still fits. It's going to be close.

I agree with your sentiment regarding the look of 335s, but I also want my tires to be functional. The Azenis 615K is the stickiest 200 UTQG rated tire you can get IMO, and the biggest size it comes in is a P315. I don't think a BFG G-force rival (also rated at 200) even made the top 10 at the Ultima Battery street car challenge last year.

Running a stock width rear end and running 315's on readily available deep dish mach 1 rims, lowered 3"...ive got room with no mods other than some taps with a hammer to the front of my inners.

I am putting in a new one piece floor so I think I might tap it in a little more when the old floor is out and then modify the new floor to fit.