prayers1

Need torque specs on suspension and steering

I've replaced the entire front suspension and steering linkage, now I need to know how tight to make the nuts on the following pieces.

Pitman arm to center link

Outer tie rod end

Inner tire rod end

Idler arm to center link

UCA to Shock tower

LCA to undercarriage

Spindle to Upper & Lower ball joints.

Thanks for your time and help.

I pulled these out of my '71 shop manual. Should be the same for '69/'70.

Pitman Arm to Control Valve 35-47

Outer tie rod to spindle 35-47

Center Link to Idler Arm 50-70

Pitman Arm to Center Link 35-47

Inner tie rod to center link 35-47

Pitman Arm to Sector Shaft 150-225

Idler Arm Bracket to Frame 30-40

Tie rod connecting sleeve bolts 9-15

Ball joint to spindle 60-90

Lower control arm 60-90

Upper control arm 100-140

*Torque to the low limit of specs then tighten the nut to the nearest cotter pin slot.

No problem at all. I have a complete set of '71 shop manuals complete with the hard to find pocket service manuals. All of the torque specks were already in the pocket service manuals, so it saved me from having to search through all of the shop books. The pocket service manuals are great and include every service spec you can think of.

No problem at all. I have a complete set of '71 shop manuals complete with the hard to find pocket service manuals. All of the torque specks were already in the pocket service manuals, so it saved me from having to search through all of the shop books. The pocket service manuals are great and include every service spec you can think of.

I've never heard or seen one of these. Can you take a picture?

They are small reference manuals (approx. 4" x 7.5") the perfect size for mechanic to keep in their back pocket. Probably why they are so hard to find in complete or decent shape.

The one on the left is a "Supplement" manual which covers every spec for all differentials, engines, and carbs for that year.

The one on the right is twice as thick and covers distributors, additional carb specks, fuel (pumps, tanks, etc.), exhaust systems, starters AC systems, every torque spec for everything on the car, and just about everything else you can think of.

All of the info in the books appear in chart form. Here are a couple of random scans for examples from each of the manuals.

I've replaced the entire front suspension and steering linkage, now I need to know how tight to make the nuts on the following pieces.

Pitman arm to center link

Outer tie rod end

Inner tire rod end

Idler arm to center link

UCA to Shock tower

LCA to undercarriage

Spindle to Upper & Lower ball joints.

Thanks for your time and help.

I'm glad to see you got your information. One of the best investments you can make for your car is a set of the Ford Shop Manuals. Not the repair manuals you buy in an Auto parts store but a repro of the originals. I have Factory Service Manuals for all my vehicles. They're full of useful information. You can accomplish a lot more with them.

I wish mine were hard copy instead of electronic. I emailed the company today though and they got me set up with new downloads and my activation code in an hour. Now I just need to set up my tablet.

On 5/4/2014 at 10:51 AM, Big Secz said:

I pulled these out of my '71 shop manual. Should be the same for '69/'70.

Pitman Arm to Control Valve 35-47

Outer tie rod to spindle 35-47

Center Link to Idler Arm 50-70

Pitman Arm to Center Link 35-47

Inner tie rod to center link 35-47

Pitman Arm to Sector Shaft 150-225

Idler Arm Bracket to Frame 30-40

Tie rod connecting sleeve bolts 9-15

Ball joint to spindle 60-90

Lower control arm 60-90

Upper control arm 100-140

*Torque to the low limit of specs then tighten the nut to the nearest cotter pin slot.

Another thank you for these.  I have a bunch of ford 1969 manuals that show the exploded parts view of the front end, but I'm not seeing torque values.

Does anybody happen to have the specs handy for these locations?  I'm about to be redoing the front end or my car.

Upper shock tower to export brace and shock mount.

Upper front shock to the upper shock mount

Upper control arm to shock absorber spring perch

Bottom of front shock to spring perch

Lower control arm where the strut bar attaches.

I usually tighten them until they strip, then back them off a quarter turn. But seriously, I'd just snug them up good. If you really need to torque them, just look up the specs for that particular sized bolt.