Sign in to follow this  
BinaryBo

1969 Coupe with Black Taillight Panel

I saw a 1969 Mustang Coupe today, Meadowlark Yellow with Flat Black hood option (color code W5). It also had the Sports Appearance Package option and was very late production (date 17G).

It needs a complete restoration, but it is very original...original paint, even the original stripes are there.

What I found interesting was it had a blacked out taillight panel. It looks original. Could this be original? I've never heard of it. And if so, would it have been part of the Blackout Hood option or the Sports Appearance Package option...or something else?

As soon as my son gives me the pics off his iPhone, I will post them up.

Thanks,

Bo

Blacked out hood and taillight panel were probably dealer added. I believe the blacked out hood was only available with mach 1 and boss 302 and the blacked out taillight panel with the boss 302 from the factory. Can't verify that right now though. Had a friend that bought a new 94 mustang when they came out and had the dealer paint the rally stripe and add it to the invoice. Can't recall if it was a factory option at the time but was dealer added.

Very interesting car. I have details of an unrestored coupe with the sports appearance package only, and there is no blackout on the tail panel. So, if it was original on the car you saw, it must have been part of the hood blackout option.

You have to remember that many people modified their car right after they got it. Often they copied things done to the higher cost option cars that they could not afford like a boss car.

If it looks like it was there from original because it faded with the car, that may just mean an old modification

I have a friend that has a boss429 that started modifying it and racing it back in 1970 right softer getting the car.

What is DSO? There was a relatively unknown special order of 50 cars for the Cincinnati area which were painted yellow. I came across one once, but it was mostly disassembled and the guy had the car shredded before I realized what it was. I'm not sure exactly how they were painted other than being a similar color to Meadowlark yellow. I think Kevin Marti said it was a color from a Thunderbird when I was talking to him about it years ago.

It's mentioned briefly on this web page: http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/mump-1210-special-edition-ford-mustangs/1969-cincinnati-special.html

Edited by manley

Probably doesn't help, but when I got my 69 GT coupe -- Meadowlark Yellow -- it was still original paint. It had a blacked out tail light panel and a black hood scoop, no black hood. I assumed it was part of the GT package, so no idea if it was original. I liked the look, so kept it when I repainted to Winter Blue. Didn't like the Meadowlark.

Thanks for the feedback! It was definitely a black hood from the factory, based on the 5 in the color code on the dataplate: "W5". I have a Marti Report on order to confirm.

Here is the other data plate info:

9T01L216xxx

Body: 65A

Color: W5

Trim: 2A

Date: 17G

DSO: 21

Axle: 3

Trans: W

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/cgi-bin/decoder.pl?vin=9T01L216XXX&body=65A&trim=2A&color=W5&date=17G&dso=21&axle=3&trans=W

The DSO: "21" is Atlanta, it is currently in the Atlanta area, so its not too far from the original owner.

My son is sending me the pics now...I will post them shortly.

Bo

Probably doesn't help, but when I got my 69 GT coupe -- Meadowlark Yellow -- it was still original paint. It had a blacked out tail light panel and a black hood scoop, no black hood. I assumed it was part of the GT package, so no idea if it was original. I liked the look, so kept it when I repainted to Winter Blue. Didn't like the Meadowlark.

That is interesting. Could you tell if the paint on the scoop or taillight panel was original? What was the production date?

Thx,

Bo

My '69 Mach I had a blacked out tail light panel when I got it back in '87. It was a gloss black. I always assumed it was a mod by a previous owner to mimic the look of the Boss cars. Someone added this to it at some point too.

Oldpic7.jpg

Here are the pics. If this was painted after the factory, they removed a lot of stuff to do it...and it looks like they put it back exactly the same as the factory would have...Not impossible, but this wasn't a quick job like a dealer would have probably done.

- Trunk lock

- Gas filler tube

- 1/4 extensions

- Rear bumper

- Taillights

Thx,

Bo

The blackout doesn't look factory. The blackout should also involve the inside of the quarter extensions. The blackout should also go over the top of the taillight panel like on this Dearborn built Boss 302. Meutchen Boss 302s only had the center of the top taillight plate (under the rear hatch) painted black, not all the way out like this one.

14084218095_a5a7b3b8de_b.jpg

That is interesting. Could you tell if the paint on the scoop or taillight panel was original? What was the production date?

Thx,

Bo

The tail light panel was black over the yellow, much in the same fashion yours is. Didn't include the inside edges of the fender extensions. Don't remember off hand where it was masked inside the truck opening. The scoop was a matte black over the fiberglass. When I stripped it down it had never been repainted.

I'll have to check the production date, but it's a San Jose car.