Sign in to follow this  
takoarm

427 Stroker Crate Motor. Ford racing or...

427w Crate Engine reliability, longevity, performance.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 427w Crate Engine reliability, longevity, performance.

• Ford Racing
    • CHP
    • Proformance Unlimited
    • Keith Craft
    • FPS

I am looking for reliabilty first and foremost and longevity second and high performance lastly. Going to pair this up with a C-6 most likely. I would like to squeeze at minimum 450 hp out of the engine and I really have no beef with a higher output as long as I'm not sacrificing my top 2 objectives. I have contacted 4 major engine builders and have gotten estimates and most of them are about the same price. These are using remanufactured blocks and are hovering around 540hp. I noticed the Ford racing motor is around 2500$ more and has a new 351w boss block. I can also get anywhere from 450hp to 530hp depending on which one of their crates I choose.

The other engine builders are Keith Craft, FPS, CHP engines, and Proformance Unlimited. I would love to here some testimonials and or educated opinions.

Edited by takoarm

Can you run 540 hp. on a stock block...yes all day long..If you want more or plan on upgrading in the future ... aftermarket block would be recomended if you pursue more power.. Just make sure the internals are good enough for what you want to do.. daily driver-- I beams and cast crank are ok.. But if you are going to beat on it .. H beams and 4340 stuff would hold up alot longer..

You will only go as fast as your weakest link...

I voted for Ford for no known reason, You will get more for your $ at CHP. They make a good engine that can meet all your goals. My short block was done by CHP.

Edited by Alan_Mac

I went with CHP for my 427w. It was either going to be CHP or fordstrokers.com for me. Fordstrokers was going to take 4 to 6 months vs CHP was 4 to 6 weeks. Price was virtually the same, but I did have to pay tax for CHP since they are in the same state. But I do have peace of mind if something goes wrong, they arent too far.

I would go with CHP again if I had to do it over.

Ordered my engine today. 3-4 months of waiting now.

Who did you order from? When I ordered my shortblock from CHP, they told me 4-6 weeks, I received it in 5. I also had them do extra stuff, similar to fordstrokers list of extra stuff. Basically, all I needed to add was the heads and intake manifold, and the small extras (measure pushrods, lifters, headers, etc.) related to those parts too.

+1 oh FPS here is a video of my car

Your car sounds great man.

I got a bid from FPS a month ago and it was 2k cheaper than all of the other shops. I just always question a dirty shop as well. That was the difference for me. Super nice guy though just didn't pass the smell test of if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

You Guys Don't have any local shops in your area that you trust?

I had the same guys build my Pontiac 455 & My Ford 408...

The Poncho was beat on for 14 years and when I sold the car it still ran as good as it did when they built it.

My 408 Made 550 Hp with Cast eagle Forged Crank and I-Beams...Its hopefully going in the car this month...

I called CHP this morning since the completion date is in a week and I needed to make the final payment. Their response was a 6 minute hold followed up by we don't have all of the parts to finish it and it's going to be a while. He also then informed me that he was going to have to charge me an extra $894.00 for sales tax that we agreed I wasn't going to have to pay because I used my Nevada address (they are a California company). We started this build 3 months ago and he took the 50% downpayment 6000$. I was promised progress pics of my engine being built and communication on where we were in the process. I have gotten one pic of a pile of parts and I had to call 3x a month ago to ask why I wasn't getting any updates on my build.

So my reply was well, that wasn't in the agreement and you guys are not going to be able to deliver by the date promised. So it appears if you can't honor the terms, I'll just go buy a Ford crate motor and will take a refund. He then promised to call me back within 30 minutes to see what he could do. It's been 3 hours and no call back.

Any reccomendations?

They build a damn fine engine and are semi local and I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face but... Once people start the bait and switch and are going to be at least a month beyond their promised delivery date their credibility starts looking like swiss cheese. Not returning a call when you say you will is just the icing on the cake and for me a BIG personal pet peeve.

If chp doesn't have a shop in Nevada they will pocket the sales tax. Scumbags if so.

Bob

I have 2 houses and split time between the two. When I ordered my engine I told them this and they said I can use my Nevada address and not pay the sales tax.3 months later they are changing their story and they have not been able to get all of the parts together for my build. Doesn't add up.

Why Don't you guys buy local?

There are no less than 4 local shops I or my friends have use to build engines and never a single issue and price is usually always better and you get the same parts and you KNOW whats going in it because you can just at random stop by their shop and see your motor being put together and ask questions etc...

I have never understood buying a crate engine and shipping it in if you have a local builder.

But I hear all kinds of Good about CHP and Fordstrokers