MustangBobby

Bobby's 69 fastback

Hi all. Like everyone here, I love the 69-70 Mustangs, and just wanted to share mine. I bought it in May '04, no engine, tranny, or front seats, but a solid, clean car. Just the standard rust in the lower right quarter, door corners and the fender aprons where they overlap. I am a little ashamed that I have had the car for ten years, and this is all I've gotten done, but I figure since I am making my dream car, I'm not going to settle. It is amazing how starting a family hinders these projects. I have been keeping a work log, and one year, I only worked on the car for eight hours. Anyway, as we all know, it will get done as time and money allow. Thanks for looking.

Part one

Part two

Welcome to the site Bobby! With your name and a 69 I guess you can't be all bad. Looks very nice so far. Funny how life can get in the way of our Mustangs eh. Good luck on the build.

Bob

Welcome! Good videos and nice attention to detail .. My car took 10 years to finish (owned her since 1986) .. but then I just changed my front suspension .. so 11 years .. probably next years I'll play with the rear suspension .. so it's an on going love affair :)

Welcome, nothing to be ashamed of. Mine has been off the road for almost 28 years. Tore it down the week my oldest was born. Had it almost together again in the early 90s then family stuff took priority and it sat untouched for a decade or so. During that time I changed my plans for the car and, like you, wasn't going to settle till it was done as I want it. Current work since I got back to it is going on 6 years now. With the kids grown it consumes my free time now.

After removing the two standard pockets of rust in the fender aprons, I made a single patch panel to tie the two aprons together and make it seamless. Now I just need to repeat the process for the passenger side.

post-38958-0-23290500-1421288210.jpg

post-38958-0-61126000-1421288218.jpg

post-38958-0-11807700-1421288226.jpg

Well, we were lucky enough to have the kids spend a long weekend with my brother and his family, so, along with a few other projects, I got some uninterrupted time to work on the Mustang. After finally getting the opening to the correct dimensions, I made a frame out of 3/16 X 1 1/2 to bring back some strength to the shock tower area, and attached it to the remaining upper piece of the shock tower. The Roadster Shop sells shock tower panels with their logo on it to fit the opening, but they are just bolt in, and I didn't think it was enough support. I talked with them and they could put my logo on a set, so I ordered them. I welded the backing panel on to the backside of the fender apron onto my new frame work and will leave the beauty panel as a bolt on. I like how it now has depth with the backing panel on the backside of the fender aprons. Thanks for looking.

post-38958-0-13252900-1421443978.jpg

post-38958-0-83563700-1421444003.jpg

post-38958-0-98597400-1421444028.jpg

Well, I was finally able to finish the passenger side fender apron.  It was pretty much an exact repeat of the driver side.  Removed the rotten metal from the top seams and made a single piece to eliminate the lines.  I'm having issues loading pics, but luckily for me, it looks just the pics in the previous posts.  Just Imagine it flipped around.  Thanks for looking. 

I haven't had much time to make some progress on the car, but my 9 year old made a review video of his Boss 302 he got for Christmas.  He enjoyed making it, so I thought I would share.  He wants to make another one of all of his Mustang Hot Wheels.  If you have seven minutes to kill, he would love the views and any comments.  Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euh_zz9_SiI

Well I did some work on my floor, but I need someone's help to upload the pics.  I created a Photobucket account, but I can't figure out how to get the photos from there to here.  Please pm if you can help.  I'm west coast if it will take a phone call.  Thanks.

Your work looks really clean. I'm prepping to be doing pretty much the same stuff, what's your rust prevention strategy?

Welcome to the forum.  I am a painter by trade, so corrosion protection is my top concern.  As for my build, any fab work that has overlapping joints, get's a generous coating of weld through primer.  People complain it makes your welds uglier, and I agree, but that doesn't matter after everything is ground down anyway, and the protection is well worth it.  I don't understand people that don't do it.   After I get finished, all the bare metal will get another acid wash and a conversion coating, and then another coat of PPG DP epoxy primer.

Yeah, sometimes it's just hard not to let it get to you.  The "I'm never going to get this done" blues.  Thankfully my kids are getting a little older, which makes things a little easier.  Now they have started harping on me to get it done.  Small victories.

Get those kids involved! I started mine with help from my kids, now the grandkids are loving the Mach. My youngest is five and was late going to her mother's when she asked, can I sit in it (the Mustang) first? Aw, heck ya! These projects are peaks and valleys I tell ya. Even baby steps help.