Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

New rack available from Dynacorn

Dynacorn just released a new rack that is based on the GM J car rack but with all new components. The housing is billet aluminum and can swivel 360 degrees. The rack gears are helical cut chrome moly with 7" of travel. It's a bit pricey as might be expected at nearly $3K.

It's interesting that they based their design off the GM J car rack. They also mounted the center take off centerlink in front of the rack as I did in my design. Nice looking piece, but then you would expect that for the price.

Always nice to see another component being developed for our old cars. For some reason, I suspect there was another application/need for this component that drove its development, especially given how many other r&p conversions already exist for our cars, but it's just a guess really.

Anyway, I wish they'd publish things like turning radius and such when they do the descriptions. For most folks it probably doesn't matter, but for some of us (like me), it does. I'm avoiding doing an r&p conversion specifically because I don't want the increased turning radius.

I wonder what the advantage is over all the others ones out there.

A thousand dollars less to carry around!

However, I too think it's cool more stuff is being made for our cars. But hell, that's a boat load of money. I'll modify one myself if I ever run out of other things to do to get 'Ol Red back on the road.

Bob

The dynacorn rack&pinion kit, looks almost the same as unisteer for half the price.

http://www.unisteer.com/ford/late-67-70-power-mustang-rack-pinion-for-small-blocks.html

i have the unisteer rack&pinion,bought back in 2008 no problems with the turn raduis.

had to modify the brace to clear the oil pan and open the holes, where brace mounts to the car.

if you are using eccentic eliminator ,you will have to lower the rack assembly to make the camber ajustment.

Buddha, Can you tell us exactly how that was measured? I'm assuming that's the inside diameter of the turning circle, but I would like to compare your numbers to mine (eventually anyway... I can't find my previous measurements and it may be a while before I'm back on the road).

The decreased turn radius definitely seems to be a personal preference. Personally, I couldn't tolerate the giant circle mine made as I was cruising in a large caravan and needed to make some tight u-turns. The only way to decrease the radius if you're using a J-car rack is to substantially shorten the steering arm.

Even if you have the necessary travel, if you use the stock spindle you still need 3 turns lock to lock to make the minimum radius. I can make it in 2.5 turns with my shorter steering arms. So not only do I have a tight turn radius, but I have a noticeably higher turn rate.

Buddha, disregard request for how you measured. I see that is Ford's spec from curb to curb.

Interestingly enough, the 2011 (and I would suppose 2005 through 2014) Mustang has a curb to curb turn diameter of 36.7 ft, only slightly less than 45 years ago. The 2011 BMW M3 has an even larger circle of 38.4 ft.