Sign in to follow this  
buening

Rear Seatbelt Bolt questions

Couple of questions. Do the rear seat belt bolts have the unthreaded portion near the bolt head, or is it entirely threaded? I have a collection of bolts from parts cars and it seems the majority of the ones have the upper portion unthreaded.

Also, does the inner ones (buckles) utilize a nut on the exterior side or was there a nut welded to the floors? My car has the round cup-like disc spot welded to the floors, but no sort of nut/reinforcement like the rest of the seat belts. The PO put in aftermarket belts, and the bolt went through the floor pan, then there was a rubber disc that fit inside the metal cup spotwelded to the pans, and then there was a large washer and a nut. I couldn't dig up any pics online to show what is on original cars. Hopefully you guys can help.

The mounting hols for all of the seat belts have integrate threaded support, or "nuts", so you simply bolt the belts in from the inside of the car and no need to use a nut on the underside. It sounds like to me the previous owner modified it by drilling out the hols to accommodate the aftermarket belts. In this case you will need to us a nut and washer from the underside of the car.

As for the bolts, the ones threaded all the way up are for the rear seat belts. The ones that are smooth at the top portion are for the front belts and buckles to allow for movement. If all you have are ones threaded all the way up then you can sandwich the belt mounting point between two washers and that should work fine.

This is very similar to the original which mounts in the tunnel under the rectangular bulge.

Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-08-57_zps14e90aff.png

And for those who don't know, it's welded to the other side of the bolt hole on the vertical slope at the left center of the pic.

IMG_20130422_120856_zps69a7341d.jpg

Edit: Oops, that be the front bolt location. Dang!

Bob

Edited by RPM

As for the bolts, the ones threaded all the way up are for the rear seat belts. The ones that are smooth at the top portion are for the front belts and buckles to allow for movement.

I don't believe that is correct ...or at least it wasn't in my car. The rear seat belts with the big buckles (closest to the middle of the seat) use a spacer at the top of the bolt for movement. The same goes for the bolt at the roof - it uses a red anodized spacer and a rubber washer which is often left off but very effective at keeping the belt from popping around so much.

david

Anyone have a pic of the rear center belt from the exterior (axle view)? Trying to figure out what I'm missing. Is it simply a nut welded to the pan similar to what RPM shows? Thanks for the help!

It is the same as rpm shows. It is a bracket that has a nut welded to it and then it is welded to the floor. I can get you a picture tomorrow if no one else has one. I am assuming when you say center belt you mean the center most part of the belt for the driver rear and passenger rear belts. My car only has 4 seatbelts original to the car front and rear driver and passenger sides no true center rear seatbelt like what modern cars have.

Heck, I'd even do it for a friend. First three are from the drivers side, rest passengers side. Crawling under there isn't as fun at 58 as it was at 28 :)

These aren't the best pics due to the rear axle being installed, and my age thing.

IMG_20140427_203242_zpsded517a2.jpg

IMG_20140427_202817_zpsa06535ea.jpg

IMG_20140427_202851_zpsfa0f398b.jpg

IMG_20140427_202724_zpscc7ecc32.jpg

IMG_20140427_203127_zps8b2e80ec.jpg

IMG_20140427_202749_zps21bb7559.jpg

Bob

Edited by RPM

Thanks!! I appreciate that. Thats very interesting. This must be another 69/70 difference. The only pic I could find searching google was a 70 Boss 302 below, note the round cupped washers like I mentioned mine looks like? I just can't find a picture close enough to show if it was a square nut or what.

4w.jpg