Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume69

Roller all the way? Or not?

Hi guys.

As we are about to finish my engine (351W, 30 over, roller cam and lifters, stock heads, 4V aluminum intake) we are discussing whether the valve rockers should be roller as well or not. The old school guy who is putting it back together says it's not necessary to spend the extra $ on roller rockers. Others say I should go all the way.

What is your thinking? I understand what a roller cam brings, but I must confess it is less clear for the rockers. New cam is "mild" and lifts .577/.581 if I remember well. Push rods are new and more resistant than stock.

Thanks in advance for your help!

G

Edited by Guillaume69

What is the purpose of going with a roller cam, and then putting a stamped non roller rocker arm in the valve train? It kinda defeats the purpose. It is more $$$$ to go full roller, and could be upgraded easily in the future. I wouldn't skimp at this point in the build as the friction from a non roller rocker arm would not help, only hurt. Full roller for my vote.

What is the purpose of going with a roller cam, and then putting a stamped non roller rocker arm in the valve train? It kinda defeats the purpose. It is more $$$$ to go full roller, and could be upgraded easily in the future. I wouldn't skimp at this point in the build as the friction from a non roller rocker arm would not help, only hurt. Full roller for my vote.

Ditto. I run a full roller setup on my engine.

IMG_9770a_zps6563954c.jpg

There are good reasons to go with a roller cam no matter whether the valvetrain is roller or not. Ford did this on production engines for a long time and it worked just fine. I'd go with the non-roller rockers myself and after you drive it a while switch them out.

david

There are more benefits to roller cams than just friction reduction. Heck, that's probably the least valuable attribute. The ability to run higher lift without the idle crippling duration being the major one.

I run full rollers. I run Crane Gold, but they are kinda pricey. You can get a nice set of Scorpions for $250 from Summit.

If you do get the Scorpions, got to a dealer like Summit. Many of the ebay ones are counterfeit.

Stock rockers would be a bad idea with that much lift. They are just not made for it.

If you want to save a buck you can use the crane roller lift rockers as they will not put the side load on the valve stem.

If it was me , with that much lift I would want full roller aluminum or stainless rockers

Bob

Here is what I've found:

Summit - Comp 1442-16 steel roller tips for $152.97

RPM - YBB-302760 stainless full rollers for $166.00

Summit - Scorpion SCP1018BL aluminum full rollers for $245.97

Summit - Harland Sharp S4003-7 aluminum full rollers for $249.97

Don't know how good/bad the above are. The RPMs look like a good deal but I have not heard anything about them or their product. Right now I'm building a 428 FE with Harland Sharps. My 351W for my Bronco is next so if anyone has thoughts...

I just got done putting new rollers on my 351c. I had defective aluminum rockers and bad guide plates. I upgraded to comp's best steel rollers. Unfortunately There was only one guide plate available for the Cleveland, so I hogged it out at the base with a peanut grinder. The thing sounds great, still waiting to drive it. Go all the way or not at all!

So this is the moment of truth... I am about to order my rocker arms, based on previous comments. Let me ask this, though:

- Any big difference between stainless and aluminium (aside from weight I guess?)

- On my 351W stock heads, I have studs. When checking stud size (3/8' vs. 7/16'), where should I measure?

- Any advice regarding ratio (1.6 1.65 1.7 1.72)?

Thanks for your patience with this!

G

Edited by Guillaume69