Sign in to follow this  
indianfiremach

Thoughts on these 1970 Project / Parts Cars?

Hi all, good morning. I came across a bunch of 1970 Mustang parts locally and am considering picking them up. I have the means to store them but would really prefer to turn them around pretty quickly. I'll try and describe what's here and would be interested in everyone's thoughts. I am always looking for nice parts for my '70, and thought this might be worth doing. I've parted out cars in the past and if I could get a few Mach 1 parts for my car and pass along some good project/parts cars to the rest of the Mustang community, I'd do this deal. I posted this on the VMF but didn't get a lot of responses and will be looking at the cars today. Here's the specifics and some photos:

What's included:

1970 Fastback shell, 302/auto AC car. Has solid roof, frame, cowl, and fender aprons. Someone had stripped it to restore it and didn't get any farther.

1970 coupe, 351w-2v AC car w/PS and PDB and 9" rear. Runs/drives but isn't worth restoring. Has AC dash intact.

Storage locker of parts - mach 1 rocker trim, new sheetmetal, fastback window trim, set of bolt in 70 glass, and much more. No home runs here - no consoles, no tachs, fold down is only two panels, etc but some nice parts.

The guy wants $2,800 for the cars and parts. Seems high but with the prices I see people asking for fastback stuff, it doesn't seem too crazy. I don't need a lot of these parts but there were some nice ones in there I wouldn't mind using on my car. Unfortunately the fastback doesn't have a title so I would need to get one through broadway or a similar service, or just part the car out. Vins come out clean in SC and NC DMV. Someone parted out a 70 Mach 1 years ago and had collected these parts to do the fastback, it just never happened. What do you all think? And of course, here's some pictures. I have a 4 car garage I could put these in and the guy will deliver it all. I sell on eBay pretty regularly but this is a lot to box/ship, and at $2,800 I know the seller is getting the better end of the deal.

IMG_20131217_151501_135_zpsfb1540ae.jpg

IMG_20131217_152331_767_zpsa9b8f59f.jpg

IMG_20131219_133745_468_zps05196773.jpg

IMG_20131217_135119_475_zps9e321330.jpg

Looks like a very good deal, if there are some good parts included in that price. I would do it if I had the space to store another body. You can allways talk the seller down a little, make the deal even better. The box has a 67/8 guage cluster, wonder what else this guy has. You could flea bay several of the extra items and make your money back rather quickly.

Need some help?

I've been through all the parts already - the two cars were at a different location so all I have is pictures of those. I see you're local - my goal would be to get these cars/parts on to new homes quickly. I'd rather break even and get a few parts for my car than have these sit in my shop and take up space.

It looks like mainly large parts to me. I buy and sell mustang parts constantly and I dont know about where you are, but larger item usually take quite a while to sell. From what i see it is mainly body panels. If the sport roof had a title and was a roller, I see them on ebay all the time go for 6-8k for a rolling shell. You could probably part the coupe and make some good money but would be quite a bit of work and time. I had an original power steering setup I restored and sold piece by piece on ebay and made right at 1,500 for it all. You would be able to recoup your money but it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it to get it back. If it had more parts besides all the body panels I would do it but from the pictures there really doesn't look like that many parts.

It looks like mainly large parts to me. I buy and sell mustang parts constantly and I dont know about where you are, but larger item usually take quite a while to sell. From what i see it is mainly body panels. If the sport roof had a title and was a roller, I see them on ebay all the time go for 6-8k for a rolling shell. You could probably part the coupe and make some good money but would be quite a bit of work and time. I had an original power steering setup I restored and sold piece by piece on ebay and made right at 1,500 for it all. You would be able to recoup your money but it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it to get it back. If it had more parts besides all the body panels I would do it but from the pictures there really doesn't look like that many parts.

Kris, those are all good comments and I agree w/you. Smaller parts are much preferred. Thankfully, under some of the larger parts is mix of smaller and new pieces. There's 1970 tinted bolt in glass and brackets, nice sport mirrors, two car's worth of fastback trim, plus a nice set of Mach 1 side cladding.

I would say go for it then. I would if I had a place to put it. I would still try to talk him down to at least 2500. You have to make it worth your while to have to take it all part it all out and ship it. And like you said there aren't big ticket items. But there is more than enough to make way more than your money back with a little time and effort. Especially if the guy is going to haul it to you. That will save a small fortune.

This is exactly what I did with the 69 parts I am currently selling. Ex co-worker bought a 69 Mach 1 with intentions to restore, took it apart, collected parts for a few years and lost interest. Wouldn't separate anything so I had to buy it all, 69 fastback shell and all the parts, duplicates of a lot of stuff. Just trying to recoup my investment and score some parts for my car. Go for it, you will do alright.