Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Help...Electrical Issue

First off I want to say I hate electrical....Loath it with a passion.....I know there is an electrical guru out there somewhere.

Even though I'm dealing with a '71 Torino it's pretty much the same as a Mustang. So tonight I took the car for a long drive to a cruise-in. I get there and turn the car off and the Alt and Oil idiot lights came on and stayed on. I disconnected the battery until I was ready to leave.

When I left I started the car and the idiot lights went out. Also it was dark out so I had my headlights on and twice the headlights went out for about a second each time and came back on. I get home and go to turn the car off and it doesn't shut off, I had to turn the key back and forth a couple of times before the car shut off, and naturally the idiot lights came back on again.

My guess is my ignition switch is bad....am I correct in that assumption or is there something else that could cause this issue?

I HATE electrical....:angry:

The only thing that throws me off is the headlights. The idiot lights and the car not shutting off, I can see how they would be related, but not sure how it would also effect the headlights. Would have to look at the wiring diagram and see how the headlight circuit ties into the ignition switch.

God I hope that's all it is. That's an easy fix.

Had my headlights do this to me a couple years ago. They would go off without warning, right in the middle of nowhere. Boom! You're in the dark now at 50 mph... I simply had a faulty light switch. Just replaced it and it never messed with me again. You might have this issue in addition to the ignition stuff.

Had my headlights do this to me a couple years ago. They would go off without warning, right in the middle of nowhere. Boom! You're in the dark now at 50 mph... I simply had a faulty light switch. Just replaced it and it never messed with me again. You might have this issue in addition to the ignition stuff.

Yeah, it could be coincidental that the light switch is going bad the same time as the ignition switch. Although this is the first time I drove this car in the dark since I've had it so the light switch could have been bad all along and I never would have known.

Ok....So i just installed a new ignition switch and this is what happened:

1. Hooked the battery back up and the Oil and Alt lights were still on.

2. I started the car and the Oil and Alt lights stayed on.

3. I turned the car off and the Oil and Alt lights were still on.

4. I started the car and the Oil and Alt lights went out.

5. I turned the car off and the Oil and Alt lights stayed off.

I started the car a few more times and the lights continued to stay off. I'm not sure what caused them to stay on in the beginning and then go out. It's not like a modern car where they will reset themselves.

I very seldom drive my Mach at night but I've learned that exercising car switches just like were suppose to exercise circuit breakers in our house will keep them working over time. That old saying applies: 'Use It OR Lose It'!

Steve

Ok....So i just installed a new ignition switch and this is what happened:

1. Hooked the battery back up and the Oil and Alt lights were still on.

2. I started the car and the Oil and Alt lights stayed on.

3. I turned the car off and the Oil and Alt lights were still on.

4. I started the car and the Oil and Alt lights went out.

5. I turned the car off and the Oil and Alt lights stayed off.

I started the car a few more times and the lights continued to stay off. I'm not sure what caused them to stay on in the beginning and then go out. It's not like a modern car where they will reset themselves.

Odd, very odd........ My question now would be, since you now you reached steps #4, #5 if you turn your ignition switch from off to "ON" (not start) are the idiot lights ON ? Idiot lights should be ON if the key is in the ON position and engine not running ?

What throws me off here is the ALT light works through the alternator and regulator circuit while the oil light is just a simple oil pressure switch. It should go out as soon as oil pressure is reached when engine is started.