Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What color to paint front brakes & suspension

This is NOT a show car, but I want it to look good and balanced.

I will be using spray cans, so tell me what type of paint. Such as, heat treated, chip resistant, Rustoleum, Gloss, Satin, Flat etc........

A majority of the parts are new or have been glass beaded.

Front Disc Brakes:

Caliper and hardware

Do you paint the hub on the rotor?

Dust shield

Spindle

Steering:

Steering box

Inner & outer tie rods

Pitman & Idler arm

Center link

Sway bar and brackets

Master Cylinder

Thank you for your help!

Don't know about the disc brakes, but I think most of the steering/suspension components were natural or phosphate. I used cast blast and aluma-blast paints on much of mine because it approximates the finish but doesn't require as much maintenance on a driver like mine. Pretty sure the master cylinder was all black with a black lid (not the natural with dichromite lid like so many use). I used epoxy primer on mine. This is from memory, so I could be wrong, I will look closer tomorrow.

I would Google "1969 mustang concours restoration" and look at the pictures to find the colors you want. If you're going to spend the time to do it right I'd paint all the parts pretty close to the correct color. No reason to cut corner here. ;-)

I used a lot of the Eastwood Chassis Black on my suspension and happy with the results. http://www.eastwood.com/chassis-black Eastwood also has a bunch of under hood paints which I also used. http://www.eastwood.com/paints/underhood-paints.html

Sorry I don't have more details for ya, but hope this gets you started down the right path.

Good luck!

On your caliper and brake parts if you do not use caliper specific paint you will be repainting it very fast. Probably in less than a month. Go to the auto parts store and look at their paint that is specific for calipers and find the color you like. It is made to hold up to the heat brake fluid. On your disc rotors, I painted the hub of mine and the outer vented edge all with caliper paint to keep it from rusting. All the other parts, just use a good quality paint you like.

Do you have a commercial electroplater near you?

In the past I have sent spindles, rotors, calipers and such in to be cad plated or gold irridated. The coating is remarkably durable and easy to keep clean.

Cad plating.....think of the brand new grade 5 bolts at the hardware store.

Gold,irridating...think of the grade 8 bolts at the hardware store.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that it will add a slight amount of thickness to the part so bearing areas will need to sanded down a bit after or protected before plating. Rotors will need the wear surface turned. Calipers will need the bore sanded and honed.

Recently on my car ( a driver) I painted the suspension in a grey hammer finish and think it like really good

Bob

Sorry, no commercial electroplate in my area.

I've noticed on the Boss Registry site, the linkage is left bare, but they all look shiny silver. The aftermarket parts I have (Moog) are dark, like a cast iron pipe. If I leave them bare and rub oil on it to prevent rust, it still would look like a black color.

How are they getting a close look of phosphate?????

If you're not planning on doing a concourse car I can make this easy on you. You can use Eastwood's brake gray on the brake components

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brake-gray-aerosol-13-oz.html

And metal cast gray on the suspension components.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-spray-gray-set.html

I used brake gray when I did the brakes on my Torino. Here are the before and after pics.

My steering gear is black epoxy(just cause theres always gease everywhere) my car is cobra blue So the plan is to paint all 4 calipers prob ford blue to match engine. All fasteners under hood and on brakes are/will be red.