Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Koni vs Bilstein shocks

Not having used either on my '70, I'm hesitant to make a specific recommendation. But from personal experience with both on other cars, and based on recommendations on other forums, I'm personally saving money for Bilsteins (if I can't afford better).

That said, if you do choose Konis, they're currently having a 25% off sale through any of their authorized dealers, such as TireRack.com. This includes both the adjustables and their STR.T (street) shocks.

Yep, the Tire Rack sale is what prompted my question. I can get a set of Bilsteins for $361 from Maier or go with Koni for $196. Just wondered if the Bilsteins are $165 better. Years ago I had Koni shocks on a Lotus & they worked great. That was a 1600lb car so they didn't have to work too hard. You suggest there might be something better than Bilsteins. What might that be?

The Bilsteins aren't adjustable. Not that that's a bad thing, but there are other adjustables out there (QA1 or Viking or Spax for example), and I'm waiting to see if Viking Performance makes the Berserkers for our Mustangs. And then again, maybe I wanna go AirRide...

I vote Bilsteins, for two reasons.

First, I have put them on a 70 coupe with stock rebuilt front end, with simply amazing improvement. I recently( last week) put a set on my 70 Mach 1 with stock front end rebuild, again with very noticeable improvement.

Second, the Bilstein is designed and set with valving to create a firm feel at preload, then 'relatively' soft on the compression, followed by stiff rebound resistance. The Koni is the opposite (firm compression resistance, and softer rebound)

I have had both, and much prefer the Bilstein feel during normal and spirited driving.

The Koni is quality, but I like the way the car handles with the Bilstein, it is very predictable to feel the car roll slightly and then hold during cornering and then ease back into the static load position as you exit the corner. It suits me. I think the Koni is perhaps more like the European idea of performance handling - very flat through the corners. I just don't think it works best on a Mustang.

I think you will find both a huge improvement over 'stock' units. You cannot compete with the bore sizes, tight tolerances and valving of the higher dollar items, but you don't necessarily need them either. I also like the QA items. I have them on a coil-over rear on another car, and they are very good.

5 years ago I would never have bought 'expensive' shock absorbers, just the best of the cheap stuff. Now, having finally taken the plunge, I would not bother with anything other than the Bilsteins. They are simply that much better...

I vote Bilsteins, for two reasons.

First, I have put them on a 70 coupe with stock rebuilt front end, with simply amazing improvement. I recently( last week) put a set on my 70 Mach 1 with stock front end rebuild, again with very noticeable improvement.

Second, the Bilstein is designed and set with valving to create a firm feel at preload, then 'relatively' soft on the compression, followed by stiff rebound resistance. The Koni is the opposite (firm compression resistance, and softer rebound)

I have had both, and much prefer the Bilstein feel during normal and spirited driving.

The Koni is quality, but I like the way the car handles with the Bilstein, it is very predictable to feel the car roll slightly and then hold during cornering and then ease back into the static load position as you exit the corner. It suits me. I think the Koni is perhaps more like the European idea of performance handling - very flat through the corners. I just don't think it works best on a Mustang.

I think you will find both a huge improvement over 'stock' units. You cannot compete with the bore sizes, tight tolerances and valving of the higher dollar items, but you don't necessarily need them either. I also like the QA items. I have them on a coil-over rear on another car, and they are very good.

5 years ago I would never have bought 'expensive' shock absorbers, just the best of the cheap stuff. Now, having finally taken the plunge, I would not bother with anything other than the Bilsteins. They are simply that much better...

Cant seem to get the edit to work right, but, for the record, I have a 69 Mach 1 , not a 70 Mach 1. I do also have the 70 coupe.

Bilsteins - tick.

Thanks all for the responses. I guess I was hoping the Koni was a cheaper (but just as good) Bilstein. A while back Edelbrock sold IAS shocks. They looked really interesting but they are no longer available. Bilsteins it is...

I think the Koni is perhaps more like the European idea of performance handling - very flat through the corners. I just don't think it works best on a Mustang.

That's a very interesting comment! I had never realized that there could be some cultural ways to look at performance handling. But you are spot on: flat stance in corners is definitely something highly valued in Europe - including on classic cars. I've had Konis for years now, and absolutely love them. I just realized that yes, it's the flat corner stuff I like. Now I understand I also get less of a warning before loosing control...

You should see Europeans cringe at those turns in the Bullitt Chase: "Oh man! Legendary cars, phenomenal drivers, but what a horrendous handling!"

Still the best car chase ever!:thumbup:

I run Bilsteins on my Mach, and LOVE them.

There is a reason Edelbrock stopped selling the IAS shocks... they SUCKED!! A buddy ran some on his car, and they were noisy!!!

Tick, tick-tick, tick, tick tick......:shit:

I'm confused. I went to the Bilstein website and searched for shocks for my '69 Mach 1, 428. After doing a search by vehicle the site said that they currently don't make a product for my car. Dave.