Sign in to follow this  
dawson1044

Help with EFI conversion

I bought a 95 GT that was rear ended so I could get the engine to go in my son's Grande. The question is, can I just swap the oil pan and drop it in the car and use the wiring harness and computer from the 95 car. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I can buy an aftermarket harness for the swap but I'd rather use what I have. Also, can I use the serpentine setup off of the 95 car with the factory power steering and A/C? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a 95 GT that was rear ended so I could get the engine to go in my son's Grande. The question is, can I just swap the oil pan and drop it in the car and use the wiring harness and computer from the 95 car. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I can buy an aftermarket harness for the swap but I'd rather use what I have. Also, can I use the serpentine setup off of the 95 car with the factory power steering and A/C? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I too would like to know if anyone as done this and how it worked out. I would think that all the old mustang owners out there someone has to have tried this at some point. I have also thought about 1996 ford truck with the 351W and all the EFI stuff, preferable F150 lighting truck.

People do this kind of stuff all the time. Look at all the new 5.0 motors, 4.6's, 5.4's ,ect.. in old mustangs.

I was going to put in the stock ecu and engine wiring ,in my car from an 08 shelby, but went aftermarket ecu instead for more control. The bare basic things you will need to wire up is, coolant , map or maf, spark (coils), injectors, tps, ait , cam, crank, ( depending on bank to bank or sequential injection), and iacv.

If your serious, download the stock pin out for the ecu , trace the wires and label. It's not to hard just patience.

People do this kind of stuff all the time. Look at all the new 5.0 motors, 4.6's, 5.4's ,ect.. in old mustangs.

I was going to put in the stock ecu and engine wiring ,in my car from an 08 shelby, but went aftermarket ecu instead for more control. The bare basic things you will need to wire up is, coolant , map or maf, spark (coils), injectors, tps, ait , cam, crank, ( depending on bank to bank or sequential injection), and iacv.

If your serious, download the stock pin out for the ecu , trace the wires and label. It's not to hard just patience.

Don't think I would do the modular engines because of the structural changes to the shock towers but what I would be interested in is the EFI Windsor engines. That's just me.

Don't think I would do the modular engines because of the structural changes to the shock towers but what I would be interested in is the EFI Windsor engines. That's just me.

To each there own. Regardless it's the same basic wiring needed.....

Rip Rock, what after market did you use?

When you say more control, Is it programmable by a laptop?

If you had it to do over again would you go with the same brand or another?

Rip Rock, what after market did you use?

When you say more control, Is it programmable by a laptop?

If you had it to do over again would you go with the same brand or another?

I went with the fast xfi and xim. I really like the fast stuff, but would like to try out the new holly efi. I heard that's pretty good. Those are all controlled by a labtop or tablet.

For control, its deferent better then a stock ecu, unless you hook up an obd2 port and use a diablo tuner to control the stock ecu. But even still I like mine for ease of changing tunes, power adders like nitrous control and or meth,2 step, boost control, fan hook up, fuel pump or staged pumps, can bus to run my race pack dash, shift light, ect..

I'm using the exact same system to run my mod motor as it was running my Cleveland. I'm currently changing my wiring on the whole system.

And it's very easy to hook up the fast ecu's. Everything is labeled unlike other ecu's like haltec, aem v1 v2 or infinity, motec ect.

Back to the original question.

There are some issues with just directly dropping in the 95's 5.0. The A/C (I've been told) hits the shock tower. I believe the smog pump will as well, but that is often discarded anyway. The timing cover doesn't have a provision for the dip stick. There is a hole in the side of the block that the rear sump dip stick routes through that needs to be plugged. You will need an electric fuel pump and will need to plumb a return line to the tank.

I am dropping a 94 (same as the 95) into my 69 now. I haven't tested the A/C, but I can see where it would hit the shock tower. I am planning to run an aftermarket setup, probably this Vintage Air system, which means that I will probably have to make my own A/C compressor bracket anyway.

I solved the timing cover issue by having a bung welded on for the dip stick. The issue with the 94/95 timing cover is it is unique to the 94/95 5.0L engines. No other vehicle used them and they were only available for two years. The water pump has a very short neck and the timing cover is fairly thin. These were to allow the use of the new electric fan.

For the hole in the block, I used a 3/8" freeze plug, NAPA p/n 3812185 (~$0.75) with a little RTV and tapped it in with a socket.

There are kits available for EFI-levels of fuel pressure. Most are external, but there are a few that are nice internal systems. You will want to mount a fuel shutoff device in the trunk, in case of an accident. I've seen people mount them on or near the filler neck. I am planning to convert to a carb, so my fueling options will be vastly different than yours. But, because there is no provision on the 94/95 timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump, I too will need an electric pump.

You should be able to pull the ECU and wiring harness and use it. I cannot think of anything non-engine related that runs through it. Having a set of 94/95 shop manuals on hand is very useful. It has wiring diagrams, routing and diagnostic/trouble shooting advice.

Hope that helps.

Chuck

I haven't finished the install yet, so I know there will be more "gotchas". The nice thing about this swap, though, is the elbow on the intake allows the intake tube to clear the shock tower nicely. The Fox intake requires a 90* elbow to be added to clear the shock towers.

Chuck

I have a timing cover from a 76 302 that i plan on using due to dipstick. The oil pans are different and I know I need a front sump pan, what years will work for my application? As far as accessories, I probably will just use the factory a/c and p/s v-belt setup. Where can I get a 50oz. balancer that will work with the 69 crank pulley?

I have a timing cover from a 76 302 that i plan on using due to dipstick. The oil pans are different and I know I need a front sump pan, what years will work for my application? As far as accessories, I probably will just use the factory a/c and p/s v-belt setup. Where can I get a 50oz. balancer that will work with the 69 crank pulley?

I wasn't trying to hijack your thread I was just interested in this also and seem like nobody was replying so I was trying to get something going.

dave

dawson1044,

If you change timing covers, you will need to change the water pump and accessory brackets (and thus the rest of the accessories). The 94/95 water pump and timing cover are unique to the 94/95 5.0s and differ completely from all other years. The pump itself will not work with any other timing cover.

Another "gotcha" I just remembered. The in/out on the water pumps changed between 1969 and 1970. A 69 radiator will not work with any pump 1970 and newer (but all 1970 radiators will work). I think the big block radiators 67-69 /may/ work (don't recall for sure), but the small block and I-6 radiators will not work.

As for your balancer, you may try Jegs or Summit. They almost certainly have something.

Chuck

If you can get the accessories, brackets, timing cover and water pump for a 69 (or even an 87-93 Fox), those will work. There are two places out near Atlanta that I have used for my late model Mustang parts. One is Prestige Mustang and the other is MPS Auto Salvage. Either of them should have Fox accessories available. Prestige may even have early model Mustang parts (they specialize in all Mustangs, while MPS is 85 and newer, though I haven't seen them stock anything newer than 2004).

Hope that helps.

Chuck

I may go ahead and put a carb on it to get it up and running, has anyone had problems with the fuel pump eccentric hitting the front of the timing cover? My cover from a 289 hit, I haven't tried the 76 302 cover yet. BTW, I have all original accessories and brackets to the 69. As far as water pump, I planned on just using the 69 model with the factory radiator. I assume that the timing covers from 69-76 are the same but we all know what happens when we assume.

One more "gotcha" (they will slowly come to me) is the transmission. If the trans is an automatic, it is controlled by the computer. The T-5/T-45 manual transmissions did not have any electronic controls.

All of your old accessories, timing cover and intake should just bolt on to the block. You will still need a new main pulley, though.

Chuck