Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Help Changing 69 spindles to 70 spindles

I can't seem to get a right answer from several Mustang venders, it seems every time I call, I get someone who's not knowledgeable about 69/70 products. Whats going on!

I'm changing my front 1969 front drum to OEM 1970 Disc. IIRC, the 1970 spindle outer tie rod hole is larger than the 69. I'm ordering suspension and steering parts.

When ordering the steering parts, do I just order the 1970 outer tie rod end and the rest of the parts will be a 1969.

Will the 1970 outer tie rod ends fit on the 1969 adjusting sleeve.

FYI, I have manual brakes & steering.

Thank You!

Not knowing what the rest of the parts you need are, the bearings on the '70 spindle have a larger ID than the '69. The OD is the same, so you can swap them out to make a '69 hub work on a '70 spindle and vice versa. If you are buying replacement '70 hubs (or 1 piece rotors), just make sure you get '70 bearings and everything will all bolt together no problem.

And you will need the 70 tie rod ends.

They will fit the sleeve end of your 69 drag links. the ball joint into the spindle is larger, and the hole in the spindle is larger than the 69, that is why you must change out the tie rod ends to match the 70 spindle.

I am surprised chocko can not provide you with a complete list of parts for the change over, and supply them all. He is the go-to guy in my opinion. Good guy too, maybe worth another call?

This is very similar to what I'm doing with my coupe, but using 72-78 Aussie Falcon spindles which are identical to 70 disc brake spindles. I'm using a Girlock single piston alloy calliper available here in Oz that bolts straight onto the disc spindle. Bigger pad area and half the weight of the stock Mustang callipers. Use 70 outer tie rod ends and wheel bearings and it'll bolt up no problems. Just to confuse the issue I believe 69 Boss Mustangs use the larger 70 sized tie rod ends as well.

Edited by shaun071
extra info

...the ball joint into the spindle is larger.

upper and lower ball joint taper remained the same from the '60 Falcon (Mustang precursor) through the end of Mustang II production in '78 even though the MII spindle is a completely different design.

SA69mach- You mentioned Dan at Chockostang, I never thought of it, he does have a vast knowledge of Mustang suspension, steering and brakes. Funny thing is, before I read your post, I did contact him for the rebuilding of my steering box and I ran past him what was discussed above. He's a great guy and is always there to help.

There are 2 ways I found out to go about this..

One is to get a manual 1969 Boss 302/ 1970 center link which will require larger inner and outer tie rod ends, this would fit the 70 spindle.

Or two, just as mentioned before, change only the outer tie rod ends due to the fact that the Disc spindle tie rod end has a larger hole that will not accept the 69 outer tie rod end. The 1970 tie rod end will screw onto the the 1969 adjusting sleeve.

I'll more than likely go with option 2.

Thank you to all for your help.

I have done the exact same thing you are doing. From what I learned when I did mine. The larger 69 boss tie rods and rotor bearings are the exact same part number at the parts store as the 70's. This is what I did. I used all standard 69 parts except for the following. Used 70 outer tie rods ( they will screw right in to the 69 sleeves), I reused the 70 rotors that came on my spindles and had them machined, the bearings, I got the number off the race of the one I took out. The seal is the same for the 69 base and the 70. If you need any more help pm me and I can send you my #. Another option if you dont want to change your tie rods, Mustang steve sells a tie rod adapter to make your 69's fit a 70 spindle.