Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Ford tooling

what exactly does this mean?

I'm looking at a new dash pad. I see one listed as being made with ford tooling. Does that mean someone bought the old ford equipment or has someone simply used an original to make new molds? I've been looking at other "ford tooling " parts as well and wonder if that is the way to go?

thx

You're probably right about there not being a hard and fast rule, but the grain pattern is difficult if not impossible to reproduce without using the original ford tooling.

NPD claims they use some of the original tooling to reproduce the fold down seat side panels. If you compare them with the other reproduction versions you should hopefully see a difference in the grain pattern. Comparing other reproduction rear panels to the originals I can clearly see a difference, but since i'm not doing a concours restoration I don't really care. Most people won't look that close or care either. Only the paint daub and sticker crowd will require that level of fidelity.

Ford tooling means that it is being made on the tooling, mold, or die that ford used.

In some cases the company that was doing the manufacturing for ford bought the tool from ford when they discontinued the part. In other cases the company has made a deal with ford to use the tooling and pay ford a fee or royalty

Bob

In your specific example of the dash pad, one made with Ford tooling and a regular repro will have a noticeable difference. The original has crisp edges at every in and out turn especially the sculpting of the leading edge. The standard repro while looks good has more smoothed out lines on it and not as sharp. There have been cases where screw holes don't always line up just right as well but some of that can be from the lower section not being lined up right either.

how much of the original tooling has to exist and be used for companies to claim, original ford tooling for a component? 10%? 90%? i'm guessing there probably is no rule.

Good point Buckeye !. I never gave that much thought till reading your post. anyone affiliated with stamping and forming dies knows that they require repairs periodically including form sections, punches, etc.

Ford tooling means that it is being made on the tooling, mold, or die that ford used.

In some cases the company that was doing the manufacturing for ford bought the tool from ford when they discontinued the part. In other cases the company has made a deal with ford to use the tooling and pay ford a fee or royalty

Bob

I would agree. I would venture to say a lot of this tooling has been passed around from various manufacturers.

I bought a Ford Tooling hood, it is heavier and had sharper lines compared to non tooling. as for fitment I am unsure as I haven't talked to the painter, I will report back when I see him Friday.

I'm fairly certain that's mainly because that piece of ford tooling is still in North America and the material would also be sourced within N.A.

Remember that the shape of the tool is different than the shape of the part. You have shrinkage, metal bend back/ relaxing. Warping from tempature....ect

When they repo a part they often find the best used example that they can and engineer a mold or die from there. They can get it close but not exact. Often they short cut to reduce tooling cost.

The original tooling can produce the most accurate part to the original. Remember that when a company was making the part for ford and foes stops making it so they make a deal with ford to continue on their own, that company has access to all the quality and inspection standards as well as the original tool geometry from ford.

I have heard a couple of cases with the body parts where the company was using the original ford tooling but it was so worn out that it was not making a quality part any more. However they were able to do a correct restoration on the tool or make a whole new one from the ford engineering designs because they and only they have access to those.

Everyone else is just copying the part. Some cope better than others.

Bob

I don't know the details but Ford has a obsolete tooling program. They apparently sell off tooling to the aftermarket companies. Goodyear and Firestone do the same with tire molds. As far as dash pads go Universal Urethane advertises Original Ford Tooling and sells them through Dashes Direct. Dave.

Any comments on the ford tooling shaker hoods? I've heard that they may not be good because they are made from worn stampings. The way I look at it though..... Ford stamped hundreds of thousands of hoods from this tooling and you have to wonder how bad could the next 10,000 hoods (or maybe less) be that are made from the same tooling. As I understand, Ford trashed the dies/ stamps of their end of life tooling. So you figure the ones that were last on the line must still have life to them.

I have a ford tooling dash that was perfect after a lil trimmin on the AC vent.

Very happy with the product. I would recomend it. Can't say much about the others, as I don't have them.

Makes you wonder how many stamps/dies may of been used at a time as I'm sure there was more than just one to make a specific part. I'm guessing they got spread around ( the ones that were available and not destroyed ) to more than one company ? Unless someone bought/pay for specific rights to use it.