Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Hey guys, just came across this forum.

Although i have a 70 fastback i hope im welcome on this 69 site :)

My car is a restoration project and have just started doing all the rear end sheet metal.

Quarters, wheelhouses, trunk floor, trap door surround, filler panel, tail light panel...etc, etc, etc.

I was unable to take some measurements due to some of the metal being so far gone that certain pieces were just flopping around.

Does anybody here have a fastback with the rear glass out and can give me any window opening measurements?

I have all my sheet metal screwed on and squared up but wanted to make sure my filler panel was in the correct spot to give me the correct size window opening.

If anybody can shoot me some measurements id really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, name is Al by the way.

Looking forward to B/S'n with you guys more in the future.

Al, I'll be headed to my brothers tomorrow to help him with his 69 Mach. We replaced everything sheet metal with the exception of the roof, pillars, and outer rockers. Its all bare so getting you the dimensions is pretty easy. (We are finishing door gaps now) I can post the measurements or submit a sketch with them sometime late tomorrow evening once I get back but I can do it.

Do you want dimensions from the recessed inner edge (rolled edge) or from the inner raw edge where the metal laminates ?

Of course your welcome. The 70 is pretty much the second half of the family. Welcome aboard. You will find what you need here. Incredible amount of active users with loads of experience who are willing to help.

Al, I'll be headed to my brothers tomorrow to help him with his 69 Mach. We replaced everything sheet metal with the exception of the roof, pillars, and outer rockers. Its all bare so getting you the dimensions is pretty easy. (We are finishing door gaps now) I can post the measurements or submit a sketch with them sometime late tomorrow evening once I get back but I can do it.

Do you want dimensions from the recessed inner edge (rolled edge) or from the inner raw edge where the metal laminates ?

That would be awesome.

Where ive been measuring from is the recessed area at the top to the recessed area at the bottom.

The top still has the chrome molding pins/pegs on and ive been going from the second pin inwards and keeping the tape parallel to the side.

If you could grab a width too even better.

Id hate to get all this welded in and then have a rear window that doesnt fit, lol.

I bought my car from you neck of the woods too.

Im in MN and took the drive to Ohio to get my car, originally a florida car but im guessing the sea air got to her.

Got it, I know what measurements your looking for.

Yeah, there's a few mustangs here in Ohio and every now and then one of them makes its way to another state. We are in the "rust" belt here but that means more so the "automotive" belt due to auto factories that were once so popular than it does referring to rust itself. However, we do have our share of winter salt that has eaten away at some of these cars.

Unlike wintery MN where a diet of road salt is quite heavy

My car is a restoration project and have just started doing all the rear end sheet metal.

Quarters, wheelhouses, trunk floor, trap door surround, filler panel, tail light panel...etc, etc, etc.

I was unable to take some measurements due to some of the metal being so far gone that certain pieces were just flopping around.

Does anybody here have a fastback with the rear glass out and can give me any window opening measurements?

I have all my sheet metal screwed on and squared up but wanted to make sure my filler panel was in the correct spot to give me the correct size window opening.

If anybody can shoot me some measurements id really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, name is Al by the way.

Looking forward to B/S'n with you guys more in the future.

Welcome to the forum Al, I also had the whole rear off my car and replaced all panels and trunk pans so my measurements may not be exact

as it was stock. But here they are drivers side second pin in vertically 31 and 1/8 , passenger side second pin in 31 and 1/4 . In the middle left to right 43 and 1/2. The window actually measures about 31" vertically and 43 and 1/4 left to right. Now that been said while the measurements of the window opening do need to be within reason IMHO the other important thing would be the placement of the deck filler panel in relation with the trunk lid . you need the trunk lid on off course and the 1/4 extensions on so that you can line the 1/4 extensions with the trunk lid. For example if you have the filler panel set back to for but yet the window opening still in reason you could end up running out of forward trunk hinge adjustment before the end of the deck lines up with the 1/4 extensions. You would probably be OK as long as you keep the vertical window opening around 31 1/4 to 31 1/2 but I just wanted you to be aware of the direct relationship it has on the deck lid also. Hope I didn't confuse you more than I did myself

LOL. If there is any other measurements that you need just let me know. Also when Wycked69 chimes in with his measurements maybe they will be stock whereas the 1/4 and trunk lid filler panel has not been removed.

Do you still have the window to trial fit, this is the best way to be sure.

Good luck with your build.

Dave

Welcome to the forum Al, I also had the whole rear off my car and replaced all panels and trunk pans so my measurements may not be exact

as it was stock. But here they are drivers side second pin in vertically 31 and 1/8 , passenger side second pin in 31 and 1/4 . In the middle left to right 43 and 1/2. The window actually measures about 31" vertically and 43 and 1/4 left to right. Now that been said while the measurements of the window opening do need to be within reason IMHO the other important thing would be the placement of the deck filler panel in relation with the trunk lid . you need the trunk lid on off course and the 1/4 extensions on so that you can line the 1/4 extensions with the trunk lid. For example if you have the filler panel set back to for but yet the window opening still in reason you could end up running out of forward trunk hinge adjustment before the end of the deck lines up with the 1/4 extensions. You would probably be OK as long as you keep the vertical window opening around 31 1/4 to 31 1/2 but I just wanted you to be aware of the direct relationship it has on the deck lid also. Hope I didn't confuse you more than I did myself

LOL. If there is any other measurements that you need just let me know. Also when Wycked69 chimes in with his measurements maybe they will be stock whereas the 1/4 and trunk lid filler panel has not been removed.

Do you still have the window to trial fit, this is the best way to be sure.

Good luck with your build.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Yes i totally understand what your saying.

I did replace the trap door surround and the filler panel so all of this section can be moved anywhere.

Right now the whole rear of the car is screwed together and squared up, the trunk floors are welded in and the new rear trunk brace.

I also have the outer wheelhouses welded in.

So, back to my point...i have the trunk lid on and the quarter extensions on and the trunk lines up with these really nice.

the filler panel is still moveable to a certain degree so i just needed to make sure on the dimensions.

My measurement from the second molding pin is pretty close from what you have said, it measures 31 3/16".

I do have the rear glass but no seal is on it.

I will post pics if i can figure out how.

Thanks for your help.

I too had trouble posting pic's in the beginning but found that if you use some sort of picture management and reduce the size to something like 600 x 800 it seems to work OK. Some use photo bucket and provide a link to there pictures.

Dave

Welcome to the Forum. There seems to be a bunch of us who just love to replace the entire rear part of our '70s. Looked at my measurements compared to det0326's, pretty close, you should be fine.

Are you going stock with your project, or doing a little resto-moding along the way?

Welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly helpful folks here, as long as we get to see your car :)

If you use photo shop, follow this guide:

you can caption photos directly on photobucket.

or you can simply copy the contents of the "IMG" code associated with that picture and paste that entire line here then annotate your pics on this forum. Here is an example:

Screenshot_2014-01-24-20-42-47_zps0e2b911f.png

Who doesn't love a Mach One?

Credits to BuckeyeDemon.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Welcome. Even though mine is a Coupe & not a Fastback I had to replace the l/s trunk floor, rear gas tank support panel, both outer wheel houses, both quarter skins, & patch the rear of the r/s rocker panel.

Things seem to be fitting and lining up real nice.

Everything here is still screwed together other than the trunk brace and trunk floors.

I think the filler panel is good where its at but I will wait on some final measurements before I weld anymore.

Plenty of other stuff to do while im waiting.

Does anybody know if those screw on drip rails are available that go under the boomerang molding.

One is fine the other one is rotted out.

Things seem to be fitting and lining up real nice.

Everything here is still screwed together other than the trunk brace and trunk floors.

I think the filler panel is good where its at but I will wait on some final measurements before I weld anymore.

Plenty of other stuff to do while im waiting.

Does anybody know if those screw on drip rails are available that go under the boomerang molding.

One is fine the other one is rotted out.

Are you talking about the piece that is spot welded in a few places and a screw in the bottom ? If so the only way I have seen it available is in a kit and is very pricey.

Dave

Edited by det0326

Hey Al

Got to thinking about this window opening and one other important measurement I think is the measurement between the left and right and

vertically between the pinch weld. I have the glass and seal for mine but keep in mind that it is all aftermarket so you would probably have to do your own measurements with what you are going to use in your car. Anyway with the seal on the window I put two machinist straight edges

in the lip that slides over the pinch weld and it measured vertically 29-1/2"

and horizontally 41-3/4" this is after subtracting the width of the two straight edges. Then I measured inside the pinch weld 2nd pin in on both sides and horizontally in the middle, the measurements were 29-5/8 ,

29-9/16 and 41-3/4 respectively. This would assure there is enough space between the seal lip and pinch weld which may not amount to a hill of beans I don't know, just though it would be a good point to know.

Dave

Hey Al

Got to thinking about this window opening and one other important measurement I think is the measurement between the left and right and

vertically between the pinch weld. I have the glass and seal for mine but keep in mind that it is all aftermarket so you would probably have to do your own measurements with what you are going to use in your car. Anyway with the seal on the window I put two machinist straight edges

in the lip that slides over the pinch weld and it measured vertically 29-1/2"

and horizontally 41-3/4" this is after subtracting the width of the two straight edges. Then I measured inside the pinch weld 2nd pin in on both sides and horizontally in the middle, the measurements were 29-5/8 ,

29-9/16 and 41-3/4 respectively. This would assure there is enough space between the seal lip and pinch weld which may not amount to a hill of beans I don't know, just though it would be a good point to know.

Dave

You are correct.

Never thought of that measurement... That's just as important as the other one.

Not sure where your measuring from with the straight edges tho.

I will go in my garage tomorrow and do a little more measuring and post results.

I will measure from the pinch weld and not the recessed area and see what I come up with.

I appreciate the responses Dave.

You are correct.

Never thought of that measurement... That's just as important as the other one.

Not sure where your measuring from with the straight edges tho.

I will go in my garage tomorrow and do a little more measuring and post results.

I will measure from the pinch weld and not the recessed area and see what I come up with.

I appreciate the responses Dave.

I used the straight edges inside the seal around the window like where the pinch weld would go. This was to just get a measurement of the actual dimension so that I would know that it will have enough room when installed in the car. Sorry if I confused you I confuse myself sometimes.

Dave

I used the straight edges inside the seal around the window like where the pinch weld would go. This was to just get a measurement of the actual dimension so that I would know that it will have enough room when installed in the car. Sorry if I confused you I confuse myself sometimes.

Dave

So you measured the inside edge of the straight edges.

Which would be the size of the opening of the pinch weld not the recessed area.