Sign in to follow this  
Arvidsson

Leafspring front bolt!!! F***

Ok, guys! I´m trying to remove the leafsprings on my car and I am one of the lucky ones with fused front mounting bolts.

I´ve tried with a reciprocating saw but with no luck, doesn´t even scratch the surface of the bolt. The blades are bi-metal blades for metal sawing..

What kind of blades have you guys used when cutting the bolts?

Any other ideas on how the get this crap off? ..my next step will be to use the angle grinder and cut the spring around the eye.

Thanks!!

Tried a torch and GOOD penetrating oil? If you heat it a touch then hose on the penetrant it will wick as it cools. Good penetrating oil is expensive(last can of kroil I bought was $25) so now I make my own, 1:1 atf:acetone. If that doesn't work than a cutoff wheel on the grinder would prob be best bet?

Just use a disc designed to cut metal for your angle grinder.They are cheap and will definately cut.Use the thin disc,the fatter ones will cut but are more for grinding.

Same issue on my previous stang - I used a disc and cut the bolts that way. It worked - but be careful not to hit the unibody.

Hey - this was my 400th post! Does one get a prize for that? lol

With the back of the leaf dropped from the shackle put an impact on the front shoulder bolt and go in reverse continuously while rocking the back of the leaf spring side to side.

If the sleeve/bolt in the front has tons of corrosion it wil work out if you keep the impact on and the back of the leaf spring rocking side to side.

Mine came out in a matter of minutes using this technique, if you pin the back of the leaf spring to its full right and left limits occasionally the front shoulder bolt should catch and work out...assuming there is any thread left.

Edited by Patriotgamez

Same issue on my previous stang - I used a disc and cut the bolts that way. It worked - but be careful not to hit the unibody.

Hey - this was my 400th post! Does one get a prize for that? lol

Well worth a prize!

Thanks for all the tips guys!! I´ll go at it tonight and hopefully the new stuff will be on the car tomorrow!!

Edited by Arvidsson

I had same deal. I used a 4.5" dia thin disk on my grinder. I cut some of the rubber and it flew and melted all over my new face shield.! I was able to cut half way through the bolt. Then i turned it 180 degrees and cut the other side. ta dah !

I ended up giving myself a black eye double wrenching and one of the wrenches broke. Lol

I used an air hammer to push the bolt out. I did not have factory nuts and bolts in the back.

The leafs were also my worst part of the Restro.

HA HA.. I win!! Got the crap off yesterday, thanks to a dremel tool and these cutting wheels.

Cut the spring with the dremel and with the spring and bushing out of the way Iet the grand master grinder do its job to cut the bolt off!! I´m happy to say that the new springs and shocks are in place!!

r19811v15.jpg