Sign in to follow this  

Hello all, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here. I have a 69 coupe that I started restoring 8years ago. Then the kids started coming, and the car restoration stopped. I got it back on the road last year, but I really don't like putting my kids in it the way it likes to drift all over the road. Unfortunately, I really don't have any real money to put into it these days. But I found a guy selling an entire Mustang II front end. I know the are kits that you can buy for the car, but will it work just using the actual front end from the 2? Thanks in advance for any help.

Not without a tremendous amount of work. Trying to affix the stock Mustang II front sheet metal to your mustang's is a pain and should be engineered which is beyond most people's budget and besides they look sort of clutsky. The kits are really complete, look good but still require welding skills. The stock front ends can be rebuilt to handle much better than what you describe with a lot less money and no welding involved.

Is the stuff he is selling old and has to be rebuilt or,is it all new stuff.

The crossmember alone to install a mustangII front suspension does not cost that much but by the time you by all the rebuild stuff you might as well just rebuild your stuff.

And that does not even account for all the welding that would need to be done

Bob

Not brand new, no.

The guy told me "all I had to do" was bolt (or weld) in the crossmember, then use all the components from that front end.

Some welding I don't mind, but it's starting to sound like the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

I already have the disc brakes up front, and I have some coil over shocks for it. Other than the shocks though, it's still the original suspension.

So does anyone have suggestions on a low cost route to tightening the steering and/or the suspension?

Not worth it... The "Mustang II" front ends you hear about for the 69-70s are not actual parts from the Mustang II front ends. Its just the term most folks use for the double A-Arm suspension setup that was initially used on those cars. By the time you did all the welding to get an original II suspension in your car you'd be better off either replacing your stock stuff or putting it towards a proper Mustang II kit like the ones from Heidts or Rod & Custom

The proper kits are complete drop-ins where the cross member is welded in, and everything else just bolts to it. Check out my thread for details. I'm in the middle of putting one in now

I remember reading somewhere that the original Mustang II had massive bumpsteer issues, so you would't be any better off anyway.

What I would do is to go for the Opentracker roller front suspension. It looks like the stock stuff; only on the racing stuff, the LCA is boxed for strength, the UCA is longer for more camber gain. And also get their roller spring perces. This suspension together with subframe connectors (a must) and a bump steer kit, I think would be a nice setup.

Infact, I'd first just do the subframe connectors and see the difference in car handeling with just that mod.

You need to inspect the front suspension you have. Grab things and try to move them around to see where the looseness or worn parts are.

Replace those parts and you should be good to go

Bob