Sign in to follow this  
Glenn83

408w fuel system

Just curious to hear what fuel lines and fuel pumps guys are using on there 351w stroker combos or big blocks. I'm hoping my 408 will make at least 550hp on the engine dyno, just trying to figure out if a good quality (Holly,edelbrock)mech fuel pump and 3/8 tank to pump fuel line will cut it??

Before I switched to EFI I ran a mechanical Edelbrock fuel pump (good for 600hp) and the 3/8" fuel line with no issues. I still have the pump if you need one.

Thanks that a relief to hear, thanks again

I wouldn't attempt to run 550hp on 3/8 fuel line.

Ditto

I run a 1/2" fuel line from a fuel cell to the carb. I use a mixture of aluminum tubing and -8 braided steel lines. I run a Holley electric pump at the fuel cell and have a pressure regulator in the engine compartment. My engine is in the area of 550hp-600hp.

I suppose if you never intend to use all the potential power you have with a 500 plus HP 408, then sure you can get by just fine with a 3/8 fuel line, but then why the heck did you build that motor?

I also use the Rob MC fuel pickup with 1/2" aluminum line from the tank to the puel pump, but then transition down to 3/8 line from the pump to the carb. I don't drag race, but I did run out of power (as compared to a pair of Roush 427 supercharged Mustangs) while climbing a large hill (or small mountain). They rode behind me for a while then decided they didn't want to go that slow (around 70 mph) and just motored right past like I was sittin' still. At that incline when I pressed harder on the gas, I didn't get a noticeable response and had to let them go. I never thought that I would ever encounter a situation on the highway where my engine didn't have enough grunt to keep up with anyone while going the speed limit (70)!

I still intend to use the power, in australia we have lots of very long country roads :)). But being seroius i might drag it once or twice a year but mainly just a street car that i would take out for drive on the weekends ect..

2 Bosch 044's in tank , drop in from the top , with 2 -10 lines in and 1 -6 return. 1970 tank sumped kind of.

I know I don't have a 408", but I don't like to under size my fuel system by any means.

Edited by Rip Rock

Interesting topic... I'm installing a much milder 408w and figured the 3/8 line and a good 80gph 7.5psi Holley pump would be adequate, but now you guys have me paranoid. I guess I'll do some AFR data logging and see if I encounter any fuel starvation issues.