Sign in to follow this  
d1gital

Suggest a 69 mach 1 lowering springs kit?

So I want to close the wheel gap on my 69 mach 1 a bit so it looks more modern. Ill go full coilover suspension when I do the coyote engine swap later this year, but in the meantime, was going to see if you guys suggested a good front springs and rear leaf springs replacement kit to lower my car a couple of inches. It has 17" eleanor wheels on 245 tires.

Why spend money on springs that you are going to swap out?

Take your old springs out and cut a coil off and reinstall.

Will stiffen them up and lower the car

You can also lower the upper control arms for better handeling and it will lower the front a bit

Bob

Why spend money on springs that you are going to swap out?

Take your old springs out and cut a coil off and reinstall.

Will stiffen them up and lower the car

You can also lower the upper control arms for better handeling and it will lower the front a bit

Bob

what about for the rear? drop shackles?

On brand new stock springs I cut 1 coil off and it was enough.

Maybe on old springs 1/2 would be ok, but really, it is a lot of work installing springs and checking height. Be sure you have a good spring compressor and plenty of time.

What height do you have at the front right now?

How old are the current front springs?

(This will give an indication of your current spring life, and you can make an informed guess on the cut)

Don't get tempted to heat the springs with a torch and let it sag. It works but the springs are weakened, and unpredictable.

This is what I found on one of my cars. Handled like garbage, and this was just one of the reasons

IMG00115-20120806-1613.jpg

for the rear, old fashioned works fine. 1 inch or 2 inch lowering block and longer u- bolts to suit. Beware of garbage u-bolts with kits.

I think you might be happy with 1 coil cut on the front, and 1 inch lowering blocks at the rear. it should have a nice rake and still be decent to drive. And safe. You will need decent shock absorbers to maintain good handling. If you don't want to spend a lot, KYB's are a good deal for a short time before the coilovers.