Sign in to follow this  
jaccad

Do you think this is salvageable?

I removed the left fender from my project and quickly realized that there was a lot more bondo than I expected. Up to 1/2 inch in some spots.

Finally reached the sheet metal and found out that someone had drilled holes in the fender and tried to pull out a dent. Ugly. I'm trying to get opinions on if this is patchable or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It is very patchable

But

What's the cost of a good used fender in your area? Because just because it can be done does not mean it's worth your time.

I see 2 options to fix it...

1 remove the bucket portion of the fender and then you can hammer&dolly the area.

2a cut the bad part out and make a new piece

2b cut the bad part out and weld in a patch from a donar fender

Bob

Yeah, it was ugly. Unfortunately I can not find anywhere with 69 mustang parts down here in New Mexico. I appreciate your reply Rsanter. I have a friend who is a welder going to come and take a good look at it.

If that fender fit the car nicely and there isn't any rust in those dimpled areas then I would simply replace the filler. It is okay to have up to a 1/4" of filler in a small area. I've been through lots of new fenders and they all require some massaging before they fit the car nicely. Generally the panel gaps will be off or things won't line up like the tips of the buckets to the hood... I've had them off by a 1/2" before and that is hard to fix. That is why I try to keep original parts when I can... in the end they require less work and less overall filler.

d

My passenger fender was in the same shape. I looked for a good used but no luck.... A friend of mine put on a repop, it was a bear. I just went to work on mine with a hammer, dolly and a shrinking disc, just worked on it a bit at a time until it would make me mad and things worked out in the end...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1wgym56jwxysnyb/kLeGNf90-Y

Don't fret too much. These cars were built to be disposable and I think mine was mostly a bondo sculpture when I got it. Also, when it comes to filling and leveling buy good filler, it will make the process far more fulfilling, it seems silly that you can buy one filler for 15 a gallon and another for 70 but there is a reason there. A quick heads up, you can get rage extreme from summit racing for 50 a gallon(free ship w/ $100 order) or I have just begun using keystone gold(relabled rage gold) for $35 a gallon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zzcxu33eu8w5vww/Nris9VAk5d

Edited by bomccorkle