Sign in to follow this  
DarkBuddha

'70 Mach 1 re-resurrection

Welcome back, man! I'm also in the camp of getting my ride done this year...hopefully no later than June. Keep going and posting...I find it motivating. This site is what kept me going during the slow time. Now, things are coming together and that's exciting.

Your ride is sharp!

Thanks man... I'll keep plugging away, and you do the same. We'll get 'em done!

I did get a few hours today to spend cleaning the engine bay in anticipation of sanding, priming, and painting it this weekend. I also made templates for my shock tower reinforcements. Will probably have a local metal shop cut them out of 1/4" plate, but I'll bend them myself as needed. Then again, maybe I'll just buy the plate and cut them with a cutting wheel.

Anyway, not a ton of progress, but every bit counts.

Progress is slow, but at least it continues... got the bay primed and fab'd a good bit of the shocktower reinforcement kit. I'd love to be able to just drop $200 for one of the kits, but fab'ing a poorman's version with nothing more than a cheap cutoff wheel, a bench vice, a claw hammer, and $25 worth of steel plate comes with a bit of personal pride. Definitely wish I had better tools... or at least a proper BFH. Anyway, a couple pics:

I'd love to be able to just drop $200 for one of the kits, but fab'ing a poorman's version with nothing more than a cheap cutoff wheel, a bench vice, a claw hammer, and $25 worth of steel plate comes with a bit of personal pride.

Exactly! A few years ago before I started fabbing parts for the mach one, I worked for my ex who has a manufacturing company with multiple machines including press brakes, press punches, iron workers, tubing benders, 100% duty cycle welders, plasma cutters, yada yada yada. It would have been too easy to use the good stuff. But noooo, I've been using a sawzall, flapper wheel grinder, and other hand tools. The only machines I've used are the drill press, lathe and mill which are in my home shop. Doing fab work the old way does come with a bit of personal pride. It can be done just fine, although it takes a bit longer. Speaking of hand tools, I once built a road racing kart out of 1-1/4" x .095 wall chromoly tube using a hack saw, hand file to fish mouth the ends, a tig welder and lathe.

Edited by RPM

To have a tig welder and lathe...

Well, the lathe was purchased used for $300 late last century, and my brother bought the mill used from a fellow karting buddy. The good news is that my bro doesn't have room for it, and lives 2 hrs away :) They are fun to play with. Kinda hard to come up with an excuse not to repair something.

Bob

I have missed all of my deadlines, but I don't mind because I'm really trying to do things a bit more proper. This time around. As of this past weekend, all the shock tower reinforcements have been welded in, welds ground down, and seams sealed. I also installed the intake on the motor and cleared it and the timing cover with Duplicolor. Hope to get the bay primed and wet sanded this week and in top coat next weekend. Then on to reassembly.

Got a couple things done...

First, I finished painting the engine and mounted the intake and test fitted the carb and fuel line. The carb is a Quick Fuel Slayer 750, and the dual feed fuel line I purchased doesn't fit. I'll either get the right one or just cut and flare it and connect the two pieces with rubber fuel line rather than bother with returning it. Not worth it for $15.

Second, engine bay got sanded, primed, and topcoated. I originally sprayed it "semi-gloss", but it was way to glossy for my tastes. So then I sprayed a coat of flat black, and that's too flat. So now I've bought some satin black... hopefully this will have the right sheen. If nothing else, there will be plenty of paint on there.

Pics... engine bay still in flat black here:

It doesn't seem terribly high to me, but it's just a Weiand Stealth, which should clear fine. And you are correct, no spacer... yet. I'm not going with a shaker for the moment, and hadn't planned on needing to cut the hood for clearance, but I did figure I'd need a drop-base air cleaner. But rumor has it there will be plenty of room in any case.

I could just be crazy but it looks higher. I know there is someone else using that intake. Maybe TheEvilTwin, which has a 460. I could just be making weird connections. Looks good though and getting the engine together is definitely an accomplishment.

Thought I'd post a quick update... I've not been working on it for the last few weeks due to family and business commitments, until today when I finally finished painting the accessory pulleys and brackets. At this point, I really need to order parts to finish assembling the motor in preparation for installing it. Didn't bother with pics today. You'll just have to wait to see the motor assembled instead.

I can't believe I got waylaid again and haven't worked on it for another 7 months. Absolutely ridiculous! The only things I've done is buy stuff for the car... Borgeson box conversion, GW strut rods, taillight bezels, MS hinge rebuild kits, brackets for the alternator and ps pump, SS bolts, and a few other things. Now I just need to get back to working on it...

Is 2015 THE year for us guys that have been here with non running cars for a long time that we get it done? Done enough at least?

Say YES... That is the correct answer.

We need to bug each other to keep things rolling.. :-)

Is 2015 THE year for us guys that have been here with non running cars for a long time that we get it done? Done enough at least?

Say YES... That is the correct answer.

We need to bug each other to keep things rolling.. :-)

you betchya! :thumbup: