Sign in to follow this  
Brian Conway

69 Brake Booster ?

Some of you guys have power front disc brakes. The booster is probably a Bendix and the ID is stamped on the front. My car has a midland style booster and is identified by the band around the middle, the long ear on the mounting flange and the bolt, high and right in this picture. going through the flange. Anybody have an OE midland on their car ? Thanks, Brian

Had Booster Dewey rebuild it s

Bob

Do you have a website for Dewey or contact info? How much to rebuild? I have a crimped booster....not sure which brand though. Thinking about getting it rebuilt.

Could anyone provide a ford casting number for a disc brake spindle? I have 1970 spindles that I may use :D0ZA-3108C /3107C. Then I heard that the '70 spindles came on '69's. I was lost after I heard that. Would like to stick with what would have come on the car from factory.

thx

Raven, I believe the rebuild cost was about $150, give or take $20.

http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com

The 69's have a different (smaller) spindle than the 70's. I have the same 70 spindles you have because the 70 takes a larger wheel bearing while using the same hub. If you end up using the 69 spindle you should have no problem selling the 70's.

Bob

RPM; yes, I do. Had Booster Dewey rebuild it since parts are like hens teeth. And ol Dewey won't still parts for the diy'er.

Bob

Bob would you share some of the info about your car ? I 'd like to learn a few things and if you don't mind. You already shared about the who and how much for the rebuild. My car is a NJ car built 9/19/68 and trying to determine if the Midland was OE or not.

1. Do you know where and when your car was built ? Thanks, Brian

I was told some time ago that the Midland boosters in '69 were used on power drum brake cars, whereas the bendix was used on power disc brake cars. I have no way of verifying that, but perhaps the membership here can report what their car came with if they know.

I have the same booster as Brian, which is a Midland. I had factory powre disc brakes. So 69g, your thoughts about Midland with power drum cars does not hold up. Is it the other way? Bendix was for power drum and Midland for power disc?

I have several Midland boosters, I took one apart a few years ago to see how it works. I would think that most are repairable, as the rubber membranes should be fixable if they develop a leak. It has a couple little rubber seats that can be puchased, but they are kind of simple.

Mine has 4 mounting bolts....yours looks different.

It's beginning to look like some early 69 cars had a pedal support bracket that required the midland booster with the flange. Still trying to gather some more info from other owners. I need to replace the booster on my car and would like to get it right the first time. Thank, Brian

Also, does anyone know if proportioning valves can be rebuilt?

Muscle Car Research has rebuild kits for the distribution block AND the proportioning valve ...

http://www.musclecarresearch.com

However, the 1968-69 dist block & prop valve are finally being reproduced.

NPD 2B257-16A is $148.05 (dist block, tubing & prop valve)

NPD 2B091-2A is $68.95 (prop valve only)

I'm sure it is available from other vendors as well, NPD just made the announcement in the Jan 14 Mustang Monthly New Bits column.

Being these are 45 year old brake parts and have likely had old crappy fluid in them for most of that time, I would now highly recommend replacing with new rather than rebuilding.

I re-sealed my dist block and used an N.O.S. Ford replacement prop valve when I re-did my brakes a couple of years ago and all seems good. However, I would have replaced that dist block in a heartbeat if it were available then.

Doug

My car was built 3.28.69 Metuchen.

Anyone ever come across a rebuild kit for a bendix 6945 booster?

Did you ever come up with an answer to this question?

I'm a bit stuck. I need a new brake booster and mine looks just like the OP's here. I have front disc brakes and rear drums. It seems places selling one just like this are all sold out, or they cost around $300+.

Here is what mine looks like:

a9824cff-49b5-42cb-862e-71bb5d3044ef_zpsd142ab6b.jpg

75305217-67bc-4ab9-adf1-e0812e7edc20_zpsea32fd4f.jpg

Edited by michael2938

Yours is a Midland booster in the second pic. I had mine rebuilt by Booster Dewey. Cost was about $165 and two weeks. I've yet to find a rebuild kit, and Dewey won't sell parts.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Yours is a Midland booster in the second pic. I had mine rebuilt by Booster Dewey. Cost was about $165 and two weeks. I've yet to find a rebuild kit, and Dewey won't still parts.

Bob

I was just looking at Dewey's website, that looks like it might be a good option. Do you know what the difference is between Midland and Bendix? It seems like the bolts/bracket look the same on some of the Bendix boosters. Are they interchangeable?

-Mike

I think the difference is about $25. Sorry Michael, It's my go to joke. I have no idea if there are any differences. If you don't find out come Monday, give Dewey a call. When I did mine a while back I'd have gone manual if a different pedal and firewall plate weren't needed.

Bob

My car was built in Dearborn on 9/17/68 and originally came with power front disc brakes. I pulled a midland booster out of it, but I have no idea of knowing whether it was original to the car or not since it was in pretty bad shape when I got it.

After reading other sites, I kept reading that the midland and bendix were interchangeable but I couldn't figure out how because the bolt patterns looked different. Apparently the Bendix needs another bracket to go over the bolts that would then make it fit the same. I think.

Since the going rate for a Bendix is half as much as a midland, I'm going to give this a try.

What's also strange is if you want a bendix with the bracket already included, the prices on places like Autozone go up about $100. I'll just find one on eBay if needed.

-Mike

Edited by michael2938

My car was built 9/19/68 at Metuchen with factory front disc brakes. I needed to replace the Midland Style FORD stamped unit. After much BS trying to find out what the ' correct ' booster was I settled on the Cardone 54-73222 Remanufactured Power Brake Booster, Correctly stamped ' Bendix ' and ' 6945 ' on the front. The adpt. plate is separate and slips on if you choose to use it. I did. My pedal support has a matching backing plate with the provision for the high and wide bolt. None to be found in San Diego at the time so off to AMAZON, $230.00 no core or exchange S$H included. Brian

My car was built 9/19/68 at Metuchen with factory front disc brakes. I needed to replace the Midland Style FORD stamped unit. After much BS trying to find out what the ' correct ' booster was I settled on the Cardone 54-73222 Remanufactured Power Brake Booster, Correctly stamped ' Bendix ' and ' 6945 ' on the front. The adpt. plate is separate and slips on if you choose to use it. I did. My pedal support has a matching backing plate with the provision for the high and wide bolt. None to be found in San Diego at the time so off to AMAZON, $230.00 no core or exchange S$H included. Brian
I added to my post that my car was a Dearborn car. Not sure if that makes a difference though. My brake booster is in bad enough condition it very well could be original, I just have no way of knowing. Where exactly on the booster is it stamped? I checked and couldn't find any markings on mine.

All along I have been trying to keep the car as correct as possible, but at this point for the booster I'll be happy just getting one in there that works. Nobody seems to know for sure if Bendix or Midland is correct, and maybe they both are so I doubt people will notice.

You say the adapter plate is separate if you _choose_ to use it? What's the alternative? Can you mount a Bendix booster without that bracket?

-Mike