Sign in to follow this  
Trinitys

Factory '69 chrome grill restoration....experience with plastic plating??

I have a factory 1969 chrome grill on my car and want to get it restored. I looked into this years ago but don't really remember why I never pursued it.

It seems like the plastic plating process has evolved over the last few years though and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

Here is one of the first places that pop up on a search....I'm thinking something like this but open to options. I wont be painting it however...:)

here is an example of a place.

http://www.paulschrome.com/index.php/what-we-do/we-chrome-plastic

The kicker would probably be the detailing. I guess its only the face that's chrome? I think that's how I remember my brothers grille in his 70 Torino GT. $650 sounds very high unless they are doing the detailing. I have a plastic plater (vacuum metalizing)that I hope to be working with soon. They may be a source for you.

I have seen them only in pictures. Very interesting and very rare.

I can't help but think that you would be better off plating a standard black one verses trying to have someone strip off the Crome from yours and replate it. Then you could still sell yours for a profit.

Please post pictures of yours and where the plating is. All over or just on the front

Bob

these are actually plated all over and then painted black everywhere except for the front edge.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. You know, it might not be too bad to detail one of those if you got it all chromed. Some thin, low-tack pin striping would probably do the trick.