Sign in to follow this  
JayEstes

69 interior rear quarter panel chrome trim

All,

I have the original (steel) interior quarter panels that I am refurbishing right now. They have a small pice of chrome with interior felt/rubber weatherstripping that is (literally) stapled to the steel quarter panel. Ideally I'd like to replace the rubber/felt on the inside, but I am not sure what this part is called or if replacement parts exist for it (or how to attach it).

Has anyone refurbished this item? Any experience here is appreciated.

(same issue on the interior door trim pieces - can the chrome/felt/rubber weatherstrip be replaced?

Thanks!

Jay

In the kit you will get weather stripping for the inside and out the door and 1/4 panel.including staples.For the 1/4 panel trim they are stapled and only need to be bent open from behind and removed.The holes for the staples are pre drilled in the weather strip although on mine the holes were a bit small for some reason so i just drilled the hole a little bigger.Just push the staples through your new rubber fit to your trim and sgueeze them shut with pliers.For inside the door they attach to the door trim with rivetes, you only need short rivetes that just fit through the other side of the trim you can even get black rivetes so you don't see them or paint after if you like.For the outside of the door glass they just clip straight in so carefully pry of the old one fit the new.The clips arnt as good as the old ones and i accidently broke one of.I removed the broken clip with pliers and replaced it with one from the old weather strip.It just pushes into the same slot with a bit of super glue aswell.Thats just incase one breaks on you.For the 1/4 panel outside glass its the same deal.I should add that the trim has to be removed to install the new stuff

Thats the info I needed guys (never would have known to call it "belt line"….) But Thx! I've got some of these coming now.

Really appreciate the tips on replacing - doesn't sound too hard, but as always I'll need to be careful.

My backseat quarters are ready for new weatherstrip. pics attached (trim in question is still masked off)

Based on other help from this list, I have repainted them with Original Dark Charcoal Metallic from NPD:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/interior_paint_spray_lacquer-107611-0.html

This paint is fantastic. Looks great and has the original color. Hard as nails when it dries.

Jay

Edited by JayEstes