Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish

Need a pcv valve??

I just received Ford Racing aluminum valve covers from Summit and I noticed that the passenger side cover has a grommet for a PCV valve instead of a breather. I was just going to run 2 breathers. I called Summit to order the breather size grommet and the technical guy told me most people run a PCV valve to take the pressure off the crank case.

I haven't had a PCV valve on the 69 351W for probably over 40 years.

DO I REALLY NEED ONE to take the pressure off the crank case? And how many of you are running a PCV?

Thanks for any input, Steve.

I have the PCV's on my 65 and 69 hooked up. No particular reason just seems simpler; need to fill the hole in the valve cover with something, the carbs are set up to receive the PVC hose and my concession to pollution control. Brian

PCV is actually good for the engine. It will circulate fresh, clean air (from either the bottom of the air cleaner or through filtered breather on the opposite valve cover).

Having this hook up will evacuate crankcase pressure which will prevent blow by and oil fumes from making your engine bay dirty/greasy.

It will remove moisture from the crankcase, and combustion by products which if left to sit in your oil will break the oil down and try to return it back to its natural raw state. These combustion by products can also form acids in the oils which can eat and etch the main bearing materials.

PCV valves are good for your engine. Hook it up.

PCV is actually good for the engine. It will circulate fresh, clean air (from either the bottom of the air cleaner or through filtered breather on the opposite valve cover).

Having this hook up will evacuate crankcase pressure which will prevent blow by and oil fumes from making your engine bay dirty/greasy.

It will remove moisture from the crankcase, and combustion by products which if left to sit in your oil will break the oil down and try to return it back to its natural raw state. These combustion by products can also form acids in the oils which can eat and etch the main bearing materials.

PCV valves are good for your engine. Hook it up.

All good points.

While you can just run two breathers and get away with it, just keeping your shiny new valve covers clean is reason enough. Better to burn the vapor off rather than gunk up your engine bay.

When I bought my Mustang 15 years ago, it had a fairly tired engine with a bit of blowby, unbeknownst to me at the time. I bought it in Fresno and was driving to Vegas through the Tehatchapee mountain pass. All of a sudden I smell oil while climbing the mountain and started to panic. Pull over and my PCV is popped out of the VC. Turns out the PO had a non vented cap on one side, and the pressure internally built up and blew the PCV out the other.

Bought a vented cap for the other side and problem solved.