Sign in to follow this  
INDIAN FIRE RED

hood pin cable

What crimp fittings would be correct (or close) and what would you use to make the crimp?

I'd have to get a close look at what swages they used on those cables. They look like they might be steel. But I make my own cable lanyards all the time. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. sell cable by the foot and the swages. I don't have the special swag tool. But by using a dull chisel and hammer I'm able to mimic what the crimp tool does when I swage the ends. Luckily my car is a 70 and they were twist locks whenever I get around to installing them. :)

swaging-stuff.jpg

Good eye, Maxum. I've seen the cable in Lowes too but was not sure about the fittings.

Buckeye, any chance we could get you to post a picture and some measurements of those fittings? BTW, I did purchase the NPD kit you mentioned but I could not go the $79 for the cables. Thanks!

Good eye, Maxum. I've seen the cable in Lowes too but was not sure about the fittings.

Buckeye, any chance we could get you to post a picture and some measurements of those fittings? BTW, I did purchase the NPD kit you mentioned but I could not go the $79 for the cables. Thanks!

sure. what dimensions do you want measured. please be specific.

Just pictures and measurement of the fittings.....length and width. Don't car about the cables.

Thanks!

.675" length

.215" width (laying loop flat)

looks like stainless

i wouldn't know how to crimp this without a tool. it was easier for me to click and purchase, then screw around with finding a good looking terminal and tool. the size of the lugs on the hood pin kit are comical.

IMG_4938.jpg~original

IMG_4939.jpg~original

IMG_4940.jpg~original

AFAIK you need a special tool to crimp those. When I worked at Home depot they sold it there & IIRC it was expensive. If you know someone who works there buy the plastic coated cable & the ends & have them crimp it for you.

Just pictures and measurement of the fittings.....length and width. Don't car about the cables.

Thanks!

one more pic. this is a comparison of the lanyard from the hood pin kit and the separate lanyard i had referenced in my build thread. besides the gigantic crimp (almost looks aluminum) the cables look a lot different.

IMG_4947.jpg~original

Indeed, even the cable looks a bit different. I can stomach the cable, it's just that huge aluminum fitting that I can't deal with. You know, how hard is in this day and time to accurately reproduce these types of things. I mean, a lot of these repops are simply crap.....i.e. hood lip molding and shaker hood trim ring are a couple that I have been looking at the past few days. Okay, that's my rant for the day. Again, thanks Buckeye.........