Sign in to follow this  
Tgriffin91

1969 Mustang Coupe Restoration

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Eastwood sounds really tempting just for the aluminum welding. I don't plan on much aluminum but for other projects it might be nice. I do have friends with welders, so there is the option of just borrowing theirs, but I think it's a good thing to own and would be useful. Nothing like the right tool for the job.

I haven't made much progress on the car. Just stripping some paint mostly. School and work have been taking all my time.

That looks like a great price on the Eastwood. My last place of employment used a spool to weld stainless. Great welds without having to buy a tig. I don't know anyone who welds alum or stainless on the mig gas mix, 75 argon 25 co2. They all use 100% argon. An extra hidden cost.

Bob

Still not much progress. School is only 4 weeks from being over and I cannot wait! Just have to pass all my classes and I'm home free. Cleaned up the gage cluster some. Looks like I'll need to buy a new main part as almost all the pins in the back are broken. But the gauges are in very good shape.

Anyone know what the picture with the date means. It is a little hard to see but it reads "W6.20.68". My car was built in November of 68, so this could possible be the date the gauges were made?

I did do a little more paint removal on the fender. Found a few filled dents. One big but should be easily hammered out.

Again not much progress. Started striping the paint from the passenger door. One little rust spot I didn't see in the corner but it's just barely starting to come through. I'll try and get the door done and some pictures up later.

School will be done next week!

Done with school. Had time yesterday (FINALLY) and got a decent amount of work done. I will post pictures later.

Cleaned out the inside pretty good. Changed the oil and fired her up. Got passenger door stripped and primed. The door has a few holes in it which were filled with bondo as well as a decent dent.

I got some graduation money so maybe I'll do the irresponsible thing and buy a welder rather than pay off some debt. :D

Pictures to come!

Here are the pictures. Been busy with work since school is done.

First picture is of the door in the process of stripping the paint where I found more bondo.:censored: But thankfully it shouldn't be a bad dent to get out minus having to remove the skin. For now it will stay as I am going to try and identify all the body work then start working on it. Second picture is the holes in the door which were covered by bondo. Again, need a welder. Third is some slight rust in the bottom corner and finally the door as a whole.

I also got the Ebrake back functioning. I need to fix the handle as it is in an awkward position to pull.

Computer at home has been acting up so I haven't been able to post any pictures, or get on here much. Cut out both rusty floors already and welding new ones in tomorrow. After that I need to get some bedliner for the inside. Any suggestions? I was thinking Lizard skin but don't really want to have to buy the special paint gun. Maybe some roll on bedliner?

Of course this is taking me longer than it should. I just can't find the time to put a few solid hours into the mustang. I got the door painted and re attached. Have some alignment issues now that can be sorted out later. Floors boards are coming along. I trimmed the rear a little too short so now I have to decide if I want to weld a strip to extend it or just buy a new one.

Girlfriend got a job in Phoenix and is moving this weekend so I'll probably have more time soon.

Finally have a few hours later today to just work on the mustang. The plan is to get most of the floor boards stripped and finish fitment of the panels I need to weld in. We'll see how far I actually get.

Here are the pictures of the floor boards. I've got the two good ones coated in some epoxy primer and the other two cut out. Back one is grinded down and the front still needs lots of work. The replacements are coming along though not close to fitting correctly. I trimmed the back one down a little too much in a few places so I don't know if I should just buy a new one or try to work with it. Opinions?

Also I got the fan shroud mounting harware... or so I thought. The fan shroud fits my fan but not my radiator. Did I get the wrong shroud or are there supposed to be mythical brackets I have reaad about. I figured the "-All" would cover this for the mounting hardware but I guess not. Either way I'll probably just make some, or get the correct shroud if that's the problem to avoid having to drain the radiator again.

It's just a scrap piece I picked up when redoing a friends house. Makes lying on the ground a little better. And yes I will definitely move it before welding. Don't want to burn my house down.

Any one have an idea on the radiator? Do I just need brackets or did I get the wrong shroud?