Sign in to follow this  
Devo622

How would you start?

Hello everyone,

Sorry to be a newb here but I have a scenario I never thought would happen that I need some help. My brother inherited my fathers 1969 Mach 1 390 S code which last ran in 1996. It has spent most of its life in a garage but it did spend about 10 years in the elements. It is pretty straight and all intact. He recently got engaged and his fiance approached me and said she would like to fix up his vehicle as a wedding present to ride away in on their wedding day. She has a budget of $10,000.

I completely understand that this is no something that can be fully explained or represented without pictures or seeing the car in person I would just like to know what items I should replace to strictly make it safe and street-able(not a resto-mod project). I have a person who is going to do some trade work for the labor so I should be able to save money there I just wanted to know what are some ideas of items to replace assuming the engine is not beyond repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be documenting the rebuild with lots of pictures. If this belongs in another section I apologize this is my first attempt at a forum.

First. If you have a mostly unaltered car that has family history you need to worry about preserving the car.

Do not take it to some hack mechanic that says he can work on it. Try to get someone that knows mustangs. Sometimes you can fins local mustang enthusiasts that will done some work on the side for you and do a better job that shops will.

What you will need to deal with at a minimum.

Replace the brakes. Replace every piece of rubber in the brake system and the pads.

Replace every piece of fuel line in the car and clean the tank and the fuel lines

Rebuild the carb and install a new fuel pump

Keep the old pump in case it an original one

Change the oil and filter. Remove the distributor and prime the oil system and check for oil pressure. Reinstall distributor and fire off the engine.

Replace all the hoses and coolant.

Replace axle and bearing seals. Inspect the wheel bearings or replace them.

Install new tires

Check to be sure all the lights and signals work

This is what I think is the bare. Minimum to make the begins of a safe car that has been sitting for a while.

Fixing up the cosmetics is next

Bob

Thank you for the quick reply bob,

I do have faith in the person that is going to help me work on the car he has a leisure mustang and a strip mustang as well as a very impressive resume of builds with some references.

Would it be better to go ahead and replace the fuel tank all together or just clean it?

I noticed that you did't have any information about suspensions is this typically something that does pretty well over time without use?

The car has 38K miles on it (has not been rolled)

You can remove the tank and open it up and stick a pressure washer nozzle in it to clean it out. Look inside and see what it looks like from there. If the tank is really rented or beat up then replace it. If it's nice then keep it but be sure to put a new fuel sock on the end of the pickup. While the fuel sender/pickup is out test to be sure it is good. Replace if needed.

Suspension needs inspected. If the boots are dry and cracked then they need replaced or the whole componet needs replaced.

I have an order I like to do things. Get it running so you can evaluate it. Get it running and moving and stopping. Then get it handling ( suspension work), then do all the cosmetics.

One word of caution. A car that has been sitting that long may have lots of original part on it even if they are not in the best shape. What is the history of the car? Has it been restored before or is it a survivor?

There are lots of people around that hunt down the original parts to recondition so they can be used on a show car. It only original once as they say....

Try to save and preserve any original parts that you take off to replace. If you guys ever go to build a show car out of it as a tribute to dad you will be thankfull you did.

I have a 69 conv that is a survivor car that dad and I are building. He wants some hod rod stuff and polished stuff on the car. More than I do. So we are taking original parts off and boxing them and putting the aftermarket stuff on the car. Not drilling any holes. Just trying to be kind to the car but still have a play toy

Bob

First take a look at the bones of the car. Check torque boxes, floors and frame rails. If those are good then look other places of common rust. I don't know how the paint is but if needs a repaint, that's gonna cost. Then all of the above suggestions. If you do not fix the bones, the will collapse under the "skin" of the car. I know it seems to have been kept inside most of the time but 10 years in elements can rot the floors, rails and torque box. Good luck with the project!