Sign in to follow this  
larryc94

CJ Pony Parts

Had to replace upper ball joint due to a problem with grease fitting. Other side was fairly new so change one side only.

Ordered from CJ's and when it came it was made in china in box with a Chinese name, not impressed.

Installed it and prior to disassembley I measured height from wheel center to fender lip 13 3/4 both sides. After ball joint installed, new joint side 14 1/4 old side 13 3/4.

Removed joint and compaired to new Moog (made in USA right on box and nicer looking piece) and verified there is a difference in height.

Called them and explained and there answer was if you installed it it yours.

I have sent some $$ with them over the pass couple of years and there willing to lose a customer over a $17 ball joint. The quality of some of there parts leaves a lot to be desired.

Only assured of a quality part if you buy a name brand (Scott Drake, etc)

Can't believe they just blew me off, any body have any similar experiences?

Thx in advance

Edited by larryc94
mis spell

Just mark it off as a lesson learned, something we all have learned over the years. That is why these forums are a great place to share knowledge with others. I bet you prevented several members from making the same part choice. Personally, I always prefer the more pricey parts for the same reason. If available, I always pay more for a USA or Canadian made part, but that's just me. I recently purchased a Canadian made gas tank from cj for that very reason and the quality shows.

We all have collections of lower priced parts we purchased and were not happy with. If I have installed them or the shipping back costs too much, I don't bother.

Edited by JCB-69CJ

Actually got the Moog ballpoint from Amazon for $20 each, replace both this time.

If you replaced both with China version you proberley would no know unless you measured you height before hand

I'm in the process of lowing front after T5z swap from FMX, had the 70's gasser look going on

You have to watch what you buy from anywhere. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from cj's and havent had a bad experience yet. Most anything I can get from my local parts stores I do so I can support local and it can easily be returned if it isnt right. It does cost a little more some times but I can see the parts before I buy them and just about everything comes with a warrantee unlike cj's or any other mustang dealer for that matter.

Same issue with a quarter skin. The stamping was off and couldn't tell until it was trimmed and ready to mock up and then no 2 lines would match. Needless to say I buy about everything local now and am so anal with repop sheet metal that I measure the old and make sure the new matches. Cj pony can $@ off for all I care. All I was told was I was wrong and sheet metal isn't perfect and sometimes you have to section a panel!!

What I don't like about CJ:

- always says free shipping when it's actually already factored in the price (notice how every thing is $10-$15 more expensive than other sellers (MU, NPD...)?

- they take twice longer to ship out your orders.

What I love about CJ:

- their website and videos are great. You get the best explanations about each part.

So I figure the parts I need using CJ´s web site, and most of the time, buy it some place else.

G

I bought a lot of parts ($3k) from CJ's over their end of year / 30% off sale. Not all parts were that discounted, but I compared prices to NPD and others so only bought when I was getting something below the going rate everywhere else. I also like that they have free shipping, no sales tax for me, and since you earn $ back, I got a decent amount of free parts to boot. If you're not in a hurry, wait for their sale. I bought enough parts to keep me busy for at least the year until their next big sale.

I've ordered thousands of dollars of parts from most of the suppliers at one time or another. I'm an NPD fan... they have excellent customer service and I've never had a problem returning a part. Their prices on some parts are higher and lower on others.

david

I can't believe someone actually figured out they just jack up the price of the part to cover the freight LOL.

But they are doing this, aren't they? Lol

Don't get me wrong, I did spend several thousand dollars with CJ these last couple years. Especially during the sales periods. But they really take longer than the others to ship your order...

Lets be realistic about this. If the part was defective, I'm sure they would have taken it back. In this case, it seemed that the OP just did not like it. It was functional but was not what was expected.

Most places will take something back as long as it was not damaged by you and it was not special ordered to begin with. You may have to pay a restocking fee but that's the price of business. They would after all have to resell it. Your local parts stores will take things back without a restocking fee under the same conditions excluding electrical parts. Most parts stores refuse electrical part returns for good reason. It to easy for you to have damaged it internally and they (the parts stores) have no way of knowing this and therefore cannot take this risk.

It would probably help them (and us) if they defined their terms and conditions more clearly.

CJ's is not a bad place and are not much different than other mustang parts suppliers, I just don't care for their customer service

I've done a lot of business with CJPP and though everything hasn't been 100% to my liking, I have to say I've been very pleased overall. They may increase the price the to cover shipping, but everything I've ordered from them was still less than I would have paid elsewhere for the same part. Recently I ordered a part that was out of stock with everyone except NPD, the same part was $20 more, after tax and shipping, it cost about $50 more for the same part. That may not be much to some, but it was to me.

bought a auto power disc brake pedal from CJ's for a 69, had to cut off a bracket that wasn't on the original and blend the welded area out flat, installed it in the car and the pedal portion is crooked as heck, believe it was made in China, is a piece of crap and am going to try and track down an original. would also recommend going with MOOG suspension parts (made in USA) have found they can be ordered through advance auto, have also noticed that Napa is no longer selling strictly made in USA stuff, would recommend rebuilding original parts rather than replacing with Chinese knock-offs,

bought a auto power disc brake pedal from CJ's for a 69, had to cut off a bracket that wasn't on the original and blend the welded area out flat, installed it in the car and the pedal portion is crooked as heck, believe it was made in China, is a piece of crap and am going to try and track down an original. would also recommend going with MOOG suspension parts (made in USA) have found they can be ordered through advance auto, have also noticed that Napa is no longer selling strictly made in USA stuff, would recommend rebuilding original parts rather than replacing with Chinese knock-offs,

I don't know if you are still looking for an original pedal, but a friend of mind specializes in mustang parts and he may have one. Its Glenn Kerns at Kerns' auto parts. His number is 502-454-6056. he is very reasonable on parts if he has them. The weather is going to be bad tonight, so I dont know if he will be open tomorrow (Monday), but you can try.

Good luck

Frank