Hi,

Doing some research for someone putting info together related to Ford and Mustang history. I DO NOT want anybody's VIN number for this!!! All I ask is that you look at the split picture of the VIN tags. The one on the left is an IMPRINTED tag, the one on the right is REVERSE STAMPED.

Please indicate if your tag matches the left or the right side of the picture, your vehicle build date or date code from your door tag and the ford plant your car was built at(2nd digit of your VIN).

Thanks for your help. :hammer:

Metuchen plant

Right picture

2/5/69 one day ahead of schedule

hmm....one of the things my friend is trying to do is determine is if there was any rhyme or reason to the different style tags. The theory was that the reverse stamped tags occurred sometime after June '69.

My tag is the left....3/28/69...Metuchen.

BTW....The info gathered here is supposed to be published at some point.

1970 Fastback

Right

Dearborn 10/13/69

4 Days behind Schedule

Mine was built two days after your's

1970 fastback

Dearborn

10/15/69

My tag is the plain style on the left. But the printing is reverse stamped liked the right.

Edited by maxum96

My 69 Coupe matches the VIN tag on the left, was built in Metuchen, NJ, And the build date is 25L (November 25th, 1968). My car didn't have the door tag when I got it so I got the date code from the body buck tag.

hmm....one of the things my friend is trying to do is determine is if there was any rhyme or reason to the different style tags. The theory was that the reverse stamped tags occurred sometime after June '69.

My tag is the left....3/28/69...Metuchen.

BTW....The info gathered here is supposed to be published at some point.

This info is covered pretty well in Marti's ' THE Mustang and Cougar Tagbook ' Also off interest to your friend might be the different elevation's the dash vins were installed at. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway